January 2018 News Archive
All the news stories from January 2018
(Tuesday 30th January 2018)
Wanderers moved up to 2nd spot in the table following a thilling 3-2 victory at table toppers Luton Town on Tuesday evening. Paris Cowan-Hall gave Wycombe the lead with barely a minute on the clock, driving home Nathan Tyson lay-off. Wycombe then had Scott Brown to thank for a number of top class saves before Wycombe doubled their lead six minutes before the interval when Tyson smashed in a loose ball following Joe Jacobson's corner from the left. However, Elliot Lee angled in a low shot past Scott Brown on 42 minutes to set-up an exciting second period. With Luton pressing for an equaliser, it was Wycombe who hit The Hatters with a sucker-punch on 70 minutes - Tyson running on to Dominic Gape's through ball before sprinting down the left wing and nipping the ball through Marek Stech's legs. But there was still a tense finish in store after Elliot Lee scored his second of the night on 79 minutes - firing home from the left at the second attempt - to bring the score back to 3-2 in favour of Wycombe. Luton were frustrated again by Brown on 89 minutes when the Wycombe 'keeper blocked Harry Cornick's effort as Luton substitute home in on an equaliser. The nerves were ramped up a touch more for Wanderers followers when ten minutes of stoppage time was indicated but Gareth's Ainsworth's side held to gain revenge for the cruel late defeat to The Hatters earlier in the 2017/18 campaign. A fourth straight League win left Wanderers eight points behind Luton with a game in hand.
Final Score: Luton 2 Wycombe 3
(Friday 26th January 2018)
The Club announced on Friday 26th January 2018 that 24 year old midfielder Curtis Thompson had signed on loan for the remainder of the 2017/18 season from fellow 'League Two' side Notts County. Prior to the loan he had scored two goals in 83 League appearance for County having been released from Leicester City in the summer of 2009, where he joined as a school boy aged 12. He had not played a Football League game for County during 2017/18 but made 13 appearances the previous season and 26 in 2015/16. He was allocated No.29 in the Wanderers squad.
(Saturday 20th January 2018)
Wanderers staged another remarkable victory as a stoppage time goal from Craig Mackail-Smith saw off Crewe Alexandra 3-2 at Gresty Road. Alex had been beaten by the same scoreline at Adams Park earlier in the season and in similar circumstances - Nathan Tyson grabbing the late winner on that occasion. At Gresty Road, Wanderers had fallen behind to a 6th minute penalty conceded after loanee Nathan McGinley was adjudged to have fouled as he tried to regain possession from Charlie Kirk. Chris Porter dispatched the spot-kick low to Scott Brown's right. Wycombe equalised on 61 minutes when Joe Jacobson floated in a free-kick to the right side of the home box where Adebayo Akinfenwa headed the ball back across the face of goal for Paris Cowan-Hall to strike home right-footed from the far corner of the six-yard area. With both sides aiming to take all three points, the game burst into life on 84 minutes when another Jacobson free-kick - this time from the right of midfield - was flicked on by Akinfenwa to McGinley on the left side of Crewe area - McGinley's overhead kick across the face of goal finding its way to Tyson who stabbed the ball home from close range to make the score Crewe 1 Wycombe 2. But thoughts of three points were short-lived after Brown failed to hold a 25 yard effort and Aston Villa loanee youngster Harry McKirdy converted the loose ball. The home side then went close to snatching a winner before Wanderers made one last effort of their own - Brown sending through a massive clearance that Akinfenwa headed on, only for Crewe defender Michael Raynes to slice his attempted clearance into the path Mackail-Smith who managed to direct the ball home from six yards and take all three points for Gareth Ainsworth's side. The result saw Wanderers stay 4th at the end of an afternoon where scores elsewhere during the 90 minutes saw Wanderers rise to 3rd and drop as low as 6th. Wanderers are now without a League game until the trip to Luton Town on Tuesday 30th January - the scheduled home match with Coventry City on Saturday 27th January being postponed due to The Sky Blues involvement in the FA Cup.
Final Score: Crewe 2 Wycombe 3
(Friday 19th January 2018)
Wanderers announced the loan signing of Watford striker Randell Williams on Friday 19th January 2018. The deal for the 21-year-old will run for the remainder of the 2017/18 campaign. Williams was originally a youngster with Tottenham Hotspur but started his senior football with Tower Hamlets in the ninth tier of English football before being signed by Crystal Palace as a winger in January 2016. However, he was released from The Eagles in the summer of 2017 and then picked up by Watford shortly afterwards. Featured for The Hornets U23 side but didn’t net his first goals until switching to a more central position in November 2017. Williams was allocated the No.24 in the Wanderers squad.
(Wednesday 17th January 2018)
The Club announced news of two player's contract extensions on Wednesday (17th January). Striker Nick Freeman agreed a new contract until June 2020, while goalkeeper Yves Ma-Kalambay has had his short-term deal extended until the end of the 2017/18 campaign. Freeman joined Wanderers in July 2016 on an initial one year deal following time with non-League Histon and made 17 appearances during his debut season at Adams Park. His deal was subsequently extended for a further 12 months before impressing again to be offered a further new deal. Former Chelsea youth player Ma-Kalambay joined Wanderers in October 2017 as cover for Scott Brown and subsequently played in two Football League Trophy matches for Gareth Ainsworth's side.
(Monday 15th January 2018)
There was very sad news announced on the morning of Monday 15th January 2018 of the death of former Wanderer Cyrille Regis at the age of 59. Best known for his lengthy spells with West Brom and Coventry City, he will also be affectionately remembered by Wanderers followers for his year at Adams Park during the 1994/95 season. Regis (then aged 36) played for Wanderers in the old ‘Second Division’ division under Martin O’Neill and was part of the squad that ended with Wanderers' highest finish to date in the Football League. He totalled 35 League appearances for Wanderers, scoring nine times. Our thoughts are with his family and friends at this sad time.
(Saturday 13th January 2018)
Wanderers moved up to 4th spot in the table following a moral boasting 3-1 victory over Colchester United. The victory came after Gareth Ainsworth made four changes to the side that had been mauled 5-1 at home by Preston North End the previous weekend in the FA Cup. New loanees Tafari Moore and Nathan McGinley were given starts, while Craig Mackail-Smith and Paris Cowan-Hall also returned to the starting XI - Adam El-Abd (injured), Marcus Bean, Nathan Tyson and Nick Freeman were the players who made way for the changes. Wycombe took the lead in the 14th minute Wanderers after Adebayo Akinfenwa stopped to head home Mackail-Smith’s cross from the left. The lead was doubled on 24 minutes when Cowan-Hall forced the ball home from 12 yards, with the help of a deflection, after the visitors failed to deal with a deep corner from the right. Wycombe weathered some second pressure from the visitors before dominating again - debutant Moore almost scoring the goal of the season following an amazing jinxing run from midfield - his shot being cleared off the line. Wanderers deservedly made it 3-0 on 74 minutes when Luke O'Nien crashed home a volley from the edge of the penalty area D. The U's scored a consolation goal on 78 minutes through Sammie Szmodics but Wycombe were well worth their three points. .
Final Score: Wycombe 3 Colchester 1
(Saturday 13th January 2018)
The Club confirmed on the morning of Saturday 13th January 2018 that the loan signing of Middlesbrough central defender Nathan McGinley had been completed before the close of the January transfer window the previous day. The 21 year old has been with Boro since the age of 9 and has progressed through the youth ranks into their U23 side. Without a First Team appearance with Boro but made three appearances in the Football League Trophy earlier in 2017/18. He was allocated the No.15 in the Wanderers squad ahead of the home match with Colchester on Saturday 13th January 2018.
(Friday 12th January 2018)
The Club announced on Friday 12th January 2018 that 20 year old Arsenal defender Tafari Moore had been brought in on loan until the end of the 2017/18 campaign. Joining Arsenal as a 12 year old, the attacking right-back has represented England at U16 through to U20 levels. Although without First Team experience with The Gunners, he spent a season long loan at Dutch side Utrecht, making one senior appearance in addition to being a regular in their reserve side during the 2015/16 season. Commenting on the deal, Gareth Ainsworth said: “He’s trained with us this week and proved himself to be a very talented defender who will also be a threat going forward." He was allocated No.18 in the Wycombe squad and will be available for the home match with Colchester on Saturday 13th January 2018.
(Tuesday 9th January 2018)
The Club revealed on Thursday 9th January 2018 that striker Dayle Southwell had left Wanderers to join 'National League' side Guiesley for an 'undisclosed fee'. Southwell joined Wanderers in June 2016 on a free from Boston United and went on to make 11 starts in League Two for Wycombe in 2016/17 before spending a loan spell with Lincoln City during February and March 2017. However, he made just three League Two starts for Wanderers in 2017/18. Commenting on the decision to let Southwell go, Gareth Ainsworth said: “I had high hopes for Dayle when he came here and unfortunately it just hasn’t worked out how we would have wanted. Nobody could ever fault Dayle’s effort and dedication because he worked his socks off in every training session and every game he played, but he hasn’t been able to force his way into the starting line-up regularly enough. He’s a great lad and I’m sure he’ll benefit from regular football at Guiseley. We wish him all the best for the future.” His final playing record for Wanderers was 32 appearances (12 from the bench) plus two goals - home to Stevenage in League Two in September 2016, plus a goal in Wanderers 5-1 home reverse in the Football League Trophy to Bristol Rovers in August 2017.
(Saturday 6th January 2018)
Wanderers were outclassed from start to finish of their Third Round FA Cup tie at home Preston North End - conceeding the first goal within the opening two minutes and eventually going down 5-1 to the Lancashire side. Former Preston player Gareth Ainsworth had made three changes from the side that had beaten Forest Green Rovers on New Year's Day - bringing in Adam El-Abd, Marcus Bean and Nathan Tyson in place of Dominic Gape, Will De Havilland and Craig Mackail-Smith. There was also seemingly good news with Scott Kashkett returning from injury to be included on the bench - his first appearance in the matchday squad since the final game of the 2016/17 season at home Cambridge in May 2017. The visitors opened the scoring in the 2nd minute when Josh Harrop fired a 20 yard free-kick past Scott Brown. Wanderers enjoyed a very brief spell of pressure on the PNE goal midway through the half but fell further behind in the 38th minute after Alan Browne fired home. There was a small glimmer of hope for Wanderers in first-half stoppage when Luke O'Nien's shot from a narrow angle on the right deflected its way past Rudd in the visitors goal. The hope continued for the first five minutes of the second period as Wycombe came at PNE with more purpose. However, any thoughts of Wycombe getting any joy from the tie were doused when Daryl Horgan saw a 50th minute shot deflect off Will De Havilland and past Brown. Wanderers conceeded a penalty on 78 minutes for a shirt pull - with Browne making no mistake from the spot. Harrop got his second on 85 minutes to make the final score 5-1 and if wasn't for a number of quality saves from Brown in the Wycombe goal, the losing margin could have been far greater. Wycombe return to League action on Saturday 13th January with a home meeting against Colchester United.
Final Score: Wycombe 1 Preston 5
(Thursday 4th January 2018)
The Club confirmed on the morning of 4th January 2018 that defender Max Müller will remain on loan at Morecambe for the remainder of the 2017/18 season. The 23 year old signed for Wanderers in August 2016, eventually making his debut, following injury, in December 2016. He made a further 11 appearances before the end of the 2016/17 campaign but made just a solitary appearance for Wanderers in 2017/18 (League Cup tie versus Fulham) before Manager Gareth Ainsworth opted for the loan deal with the fellow League Two club on 22 August 2016. Müller went on to make 19 appearances for Morecambe, including being allowed to play in FA Cup ties despite an original statement from Wanderers saying permission had not been granted. Gareth Ainsworth commented: “Max has been getting regular game time at Morecambe and that’s something we can’t guarantee here, so it makes sense for all parties for him to stay with them." With his contract with Wanderers running until June 2018, it seems highly unlikely he will play for Wanderers again. The Club have confirmed he has not been given permission to play in the scheduled League Two fixture between Wanderers and Morecambe at Adams Park on 24 February 2018.
(Monday 1st January 2018)
Wanderers returned to winning ways with a 2-1 victory from their first ever Football League trip to Forest Green Rovers. The New Years Day win came after first-half goals from Matt Bloomfield and Craig Mackail-Smith has put Wanderers firmly in the driving seat against the 'League Two' strugglers. Charlie Cooper, son of home boss Mark Cooper, was red-carded for a wild challenge on Luke O'Nien six minutes before the break and protests from his father soon led to the Manager been shown to the stands by referee Antony Coggins. However, any thoughts of an easy ride for Wanderers in the second-half were quelled by a Rovers goal on 70 minutes from Jack Fitzwater. Ebere Eze was introduced on 70 minutes for his final appearance of his loan spell from QPR but despite some nervy last few minutes, Wanderers held out for the three points. The victory moved Wycombe back up to 4th spot in the table - a point behind third placed Coventry City. Wanderers have a break from League action on Saturday 6th January when they host Preston North End in the Third Round of the FA Cup.
Final Score: Forest Green Rovers 1 Wycombe 2

Previous month ||| Latest news from
News Archive
December 2017
November 2017
October 2017
September 2017
August 2017
July 2017
News Archive
June 2017
May 2017
April 2017
March 2017
February 2017
January 2017
December 2016
November 2016
October 2016
September 2016
August 2016
July 2016
News Archive
June 2016
May 2016
April 2016
March 2016
February 2016
January 2016
December 2015
November 2015
October 2015
September 2015
August 2015
July 2015
News Archive
back to Dec 1995
Archive Index

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet