December 2017 News Archive
All the news stories from December 2017
(Saturday 30th December 2017)
Wanderers unbeaten home League run of eight games came to an end as they went down 2-1 to promotion chasing Mansfield Town. The reverse came after Adebayo Akinfenwa had given Wanderers a seventh minute lead when he sent a powered a header past Bobby Olejnik in the vistors goal from a Dominic Gape cross. Wycombe were dominating at this point and two early substitutions for Mansfield due to injury looked to be making this a comfortable day for Gareth Ainsworth's side. However, after Wanderers had gone close to making it 2-0 shortly before the break, it was Steve Evan's side who went on to take all three points. Alfie Potter equalised on 52 minutes and it was former Wanderer Lee Angol who netted the winner on 81 minutes with a sublime flick past Scott Brown. A disappointing end to 2017 for Wanderers, who fall to 6th place in the table ahead on the New Year's Day trip to Forest Green Rovers.
Final Score: Wycombe 1 Mansfield 2
(Friday 29th December 2017)
There was surpised news from the Club on Friday 29th December 2017 when they revealed the departure of goalkeeping coach Barry Richardson. The statement from the Club said he had called time on his time at Adams "to be closer to his family." He added: "ďLeaving Wycombe was a really difficult decision to make and I really hope and believe they can go up this year. Itís a special club with some great people who Iíll keep in touch with and Iím sure Iíll be back to visit.Ē 38 years old at the time of his departure, Richardson joined the coaching staff at Wycombe in January 2014 but most famously came on as substitute in a League game at Plymouth Argyle in January 2016 and kept a clean-sheet during a 1-0 victory and in the process became the oldest ever player to represent Wanderers in the Football League.
(Tuesday 26th December 2017)
Nathan Tyson and Adebayo Akinfenwa scored as Wanderers beat Newport County at Adams Park on Boxing Day to record a fourth successive home league victory in League Two. Wanderers were missing Anthony Stewart - injured in the previous game versus Coventry City - but opened the scoring on 15 minutes when Ebere Eze back-heeled to Luke O'Nien who passed to Tyson who skillfully skipped past the visiting defence and shot past Joe Day in the County goal. The visitors had their best spell leading up to break and then again at the start of the second period but Wanderers survived and eventually doubled their lead on 78 minutes with another text-book Joe Jacobson-Adebayo Akinfenwa combination - the latter chesting down the ball into the box before shooting home. Wycombe were denied a 3-0 victory, that would have pushed them into third place in the table, when the referee blew the full-time whistle a second before Matt Bloomfield fired home from a Wycombe corner. However, Wanderers did move up to 4th place, trailing Lincoln City by a goal-difference of one.
Final Score: Wycombe 2 Newport County 0
(Friday 22nd December 2017)
Wanderers missed the chance of leaping into the top three of League Two after going down 3-2 at Coventry City on Friday evening. A freak goal had given the home side the lead on 14 minutes when Michael Doyle's curling punt forward from the left of midfield swerved over the head of Scott Brown in the Wycombe goal. Brown was beaten again on 41 minutes after Marc McNulty curled in a shot from the left side of the box after getting the better of a hobbling Anthony Stewart who was replaced shortly afterwards. However, Wanderers were given a lifeline deep into first-half stoppage time when Dan Scarr chested down a City clearance before volleying home from 20 yards for his first ever Football League goal. Wanderers then drew level four into the second-half after Nathan Tyson was adjudged to have been fouled by Devon Kelly-Evans on the left-side of the box - Joe Jacobson converting from the spot to make the score 2-2. Wanderers were in the ascendancy at this point but fell behind again after referee Tony Harrington awarded another soft penalty, this time penalising Luke O'Nien for infringing McNulty as the City playing was running away from goal on the left side of the Wycombe penalty area. McNulty recovered to smash home the penalty high to Brown's right. The loss came after Gareth Ainsworth made two changes to the side that had beaten Chesterfield at home the previous Saturday, Dan Scarr coming in for the injured Adam El-Abd, while Matt Bloomfield replaced Ebere Eze, who dropped to bench. The defeat at Coventry left Wanderers without a win in the past six away League games but still only two points away from the automatic promotion slots at the half-way stage of the season.
Final Score: Coventry 3 Wycombe 2
(Saturday 16th December 2017)
A 54th minute strike from Luke O'Nien was enough for Wanderers to see off struggling Chesterfield 1-0 at Adams Park and climb to 4th spot in the League Two table. The victory came after Gareth Ainsworth made two chnages to the side that had drew at Stevenage the previous weekend - Sam Saunders and Nathan Tyson both given starts in favour of Matt Bloomfield, Nick Freeman. Meanwhile, Dominic Gape returned to the bench following his spell out through injury. The visitors came to Adams Park one place above the relegation zone but a run of six games without loss, always meant this meeting would be no walk in the park for Wanderers. It was Wycombe who had the better chances during the opening 45 minutes - Craig Mackail-Smith seeing a goalbound effort blocked on 25 minutes by Cameron Dawson in the opponents goal, while Saunders curling free-kick from 25 yards struck the angle of post and cross-bar a minute before the break. The deadlock was finally broken when O'Nien played a one-two with Sido Jombati out on the right-wing before turning and drilling a low shot from the corner of the box and into the opposite left corner of the Valley End net for his first goal for more than three months. There were brief glimpses of hope for the visitors but it was Wycombe who held out for all three points and could have claimed a second-goal in stoppage time when Paris Cowan-Hall was fouled on route to goal but the referee pulled the game back for a disputed offside decision.
Final Score: Wycombe 1 Chesterfield 0
(Monday 11th December 2017)
The Club confirmed on Monday afternoon (11th December 2017) that the loan of Birmingham City defender Dan Scarr had been extended until the end of the 2017/18 campaign. The deal will include play-off games should they be required. The 22 year old originally joined on a loan deal starting on 30th August 2017 and running until 1st January 2018. At the time of the loan extension he had made 13 appearances in a Wanderers shirt, including outings in the FA Cup after being given permission to play by City.
(Monday 11th December 2017)
The date and ticket details for Wanderers' Third Round FA Cup tie at home Preston North End was confirmed on Monday (11th December). The tie will take place on Saturday 6th January 2018 with a 3pm kick-off. Ticket prices are: Adult (Seating): £20 - Adult (Terrace): £15 - Seniors (60+) (Seating): £15 - Seniors (60+) (Terrace): £13 - Young Adult (19-25) (Seating): £15 - Young Adult (19-25) (Terrace): £13 - Juniors (18 and under): £5. Season Ticket holders will have until 5pm on Friday 22nd December to purchase their regular seat, from which time they will go on general sale. Ticket prices are a £5 increase for Adult and Senior seats compared to the 2016/17 Third Round tie at home to Stourbridge - £3 increase for Young Adult seats.
See for latest ticket info
(Saturday 9th December 2017)
Wanderers had to settle for a goalless draw at Stevenage as Nathan Tyson returned to the side as substitute following two months sidelined with a leg injury. Tyson was introduced into the game just after the hour mark and he went close with a header on 79 minutes, while Adebayo Akinfenwa struck the crossbar as the clocked ticked towards 90 minutes. However, the closest Wanderers came to grabbing a winner was in the first-half stoppage time when Scott Brown's lofted free-kick from the edge of the center-circle went past the attempted claim by home 'keeper Joe Fryer before being spectacularly cleared off the line and onto the cross-bar by Boro defender Ronnie Henry. Wycombe remain 5th in the 'League Two' table.
Final Score: Stevenage 0 Wycombe 0
(Tuesday 6th December 2017)
With Wanderers in the Third Round Proper of the FA Cup for a club record third consecutive season, COTN takes a look back at the last occasion Wycombe competed in the FA Cup as a non-League side - hosting then third tier high fliers West Bromwich Albion in a Second Round tie at Adams Park.
Wycombe v West Brom - memories from 1992 - special feature
(Monday 5th December 2017)
Wanderers will play Preston North End in the Third Round of the FA Cup Cup after the draw was made live on BBC2 on Monday evening. The tie will take place on the weekend of Saturday 6th January 2018, with Wycombe's scheduled 'League Two' trip to Luton Town needing to be re-scheduled. It was Wanderers third consecutive home draw in the Third Round, having hosted Aston Villa in 2016 and Stourbridge in 2017. Wycombe met Preston North End at the Second Round stage in the 2013/14 season - with the Lancashire side edging through 1-0 thanks to a long range effort from Kevin Davies. Both clubs will be hoping for a better attendance than the December 2013 tie - just 2,249 (including 403 in the away end) turning out on that occasion. Last season Preston lost 2-1 at home to Arsenal at the Third Round stage before a 22,000 gate at Deepdale. Winners will pick up £67,500.
Wanderers' complete record in the FA Cup proper
(Sunday 3rd December 2017)
Wanderers survived an early scare to beat Isthmian League Leatherhead 3-1 at Adams Park and progress to the Third Round of the FA Cup for a club record third consecutive season. Wycombe fell behind to a controversial 8th minute penalty when referee Tim Robinson spotted a Sido Jombati shirt pull - allowing Jack Midson to convert from the spot. The visitors then had a couple of chances to extend their lead before Wanderers got back on level terms with a superb 30 yard curling free-kick from Sam Saunders on 29 minutes. The non-League side kept Wycombe at bay until the 76th minute when Craig Mackail-Smith followed up an Adebayo Akinfenwa effort to score and give Wanderers the lead. Two minutes later Leatherhead's day imploded when Player-Manager Sammy Moore was shown a second yellow card for retaliation following a challenge by Joe Jacobson. Wycombe's place in the Third Round was sealed in stoppage time when Akinfenwa sent a diving header past Zaki Ouala in the Leatherhead goal following a right-wing cross from Matt Bloomfield. Wycombe pick up £27,000 up for their victory plus an additional £12,000 for moving the tie to Sunday to cater for BBC Final Score coverage, plus highlights shown later that evening on BBC2.
Final Score: Wycombe 3 Leatherhead 1
(Friday 1st December 2017)
As Wanderers look to reach the Third Round Proper of the FA Cup for third season running, COTN takes a look back 40 years ago to a trip to Minehead on Saturday 26th November 1977 in the First Round Proper. The Somerset town was more famous for Butlin's holiday camp than their football team but this tie was no Holiday in the Sun for Wanderers.
Minehead v Wycombe - memories from 1977 - special feature

Previous month ||| Latest news from
News Archive
November 2017
October 2017
September 2017
August 2017
July 2017
News Archive
June 2017
May 2017
April 2017
March 2017
February 2017
January 2017
December 2016
November 2016
October 2016
September 2016
August 2016
July 2016
News Archive
June 2016
May 2016
April 2016
March 2016
February 2016
January 2016
December 2015
November 2015
October 2015
September 2015
August 2015
July 2015
News Archive
back to Dec 1995
Archive Index

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet