January 2013 News Archive
All the news stories from January 2013
(Monday 28th January 2013)
Wanderers youngsters Junior Morias and Lee Angol have joined Isthmian Premier Division side Hendon on five-week loan deals. Morias, 17, has made 15 First Team appearances for Wycombe this season (12 from the bench) after being handed his first-team debut by Gareth Ainsworth in match at Dagenham on 29th September. Meanwhile, 18 year-old Angol has been limited to just 4 First Team apps (all from the bench and none under Ainsworth) having joined the Wanderers in the summer after being released by Tottenham Hotspur. The duo will contracted at Hendon until after the fixture with Margate on 2nd March.
(Friday 25th January 2013)
Wanderers' scheduled 'League Two' meeting at Bradford City on Saturday (26th January) was postponed following a pitch inspection at 11am on Friday morning. The pitch at Valley Parade had been covered in a blanket of snow for most of the week and with sub zero temperatures and more snow predicted overnight, a local referee made the decision to call the game off before team, officials and supporters had attempted to make the journey north. Earlier in the week The Bantams became the first fourth tier side to reach a major cup final since 1962 for when they overcame Paul Lambert's Aston Villa in the League Cup semi-final. A new date for Wanderers' trip to Yorkshire will be announced in due course. Meanwhile, the two sides are due to meet at Adams Park in a rearranged 'League Two' game on Tuesday 12th February. The next game for Wanderers is now on Monday 4th February when they travel to 2nd placed Gillingham in the game being shown live on Sky Sports.
(Saturday 19th January 2013)
Wanderers beat the country wide freeze and then beat Dagenham & Redbridge 1-0 at Adams Park on Saturday to nudge one more place up the 'League Two' table. Undersoil heating had kept at bay the freezing conditions and snow fall that had hit most of the UK on Friday, while Club officials and volunteers worked on Saturday morning to make safe the areas surrounding and within the stadium. The 2,365 hardy souls who braved the conditions saw Wanderers earn a deserved victory thanks to a 32nd minute strike from Sam Wood. Team news had seen Matt McClure become unavailable due to his partner going into labour on the morning of the game, while Anthony Stewart was prefered in defence ahead of Kortney Hause. Former Dagger Stuart Lewis went closest for Wycombe in the 28th minute when his shot from around 10 yards was cleared off the line. However, Wanderers took the lead three minutes later when Dean Morgan chipped through to Joel Grant, before Jo Kuffour played in Wood to drive a low shot from 18 yards out on the left side of goal and into the opposite corner of the Valley End net. Dagenham, managed by long time Wanderers adversary John Still, came out strong at the opening of the second period but Jordan Archer kept Wycombe's lead when he made a point blank save from Scott Doe just a minute after the restart. However, at the other end Wood came close to adding a second as Wanderers looked determined thanks to solid displays from Charles Dunne and Dave Winfield in the centre of the defence. Next game for Wycombe away to Bradford City next Saturday (26th January) Wycombe: Archer, Harriman, Dunne, Winfield, Stewart, Grant, Scowen, Lewis, Wood, Kuffour (sub 88 Ainsworth), Morgan (sub 83 Morias) - subs not used: Harrison, Hause, McCoy, Spring, Andrade - Att: 2,365 (away 100 approx) - lowest ever Football League attendance at Adams Park. Previous low, 2,836 versus Rotherham on Tuesday 16th April 1996
(Thursday 17th January 2013)
On loan QPR striker Bruno Andrade has extended his deal with Wycombe until the end of the 2012/13 season. The 19 year old originally joined Wycombe in October on a short term 'youth loan' and made his debut in the Football League Trophy clash with Portsmouth on 9th October. He has since gone on to make 17 First Team apps for the Wanderers, scoring twice.
(Saturday 12th January 2013)
A goal from substitute Matt McClure salvaged a point for Wanderers as they drew 2-2 at Wimbledon on Saturday. Wycombe got off to a flying start when Dean Morgan's low ball in from the right on 8 minutes saw Jo Kuffour shoot on the turn from the near side of the box with the ball ending in the far corner of the net via a deflection. But Wanderers, backed by a following of close to 800 went on to deliver a lack lustre performance that lacked creativity up front and was shakey at times at the back. The home side equalised on 15 minutes after a corner from the right found West Ham loanee Paul McCallum at the far side of the box to smash past Jordan Archer. Confusion between Kortney Hause and Archer on 40 minutes almost gifted McCallum another goal but this time he drove the ball into the right hand side netting. However, there was no let off a minute later when McCallum netted again as shot on the turn to put The Dons ahead. The second half followed a similar pattern and only brilliant reflex save from Archer on 50 minutes to turn away a McCallum effort from under the crossbar kept the deficit to a single goal. It was a rare Wycombe attack that brought the equaliser on 72 minutes to cheer the travelling support - McClure driving home a loose ball through a crowd of players after Morgan's free-kick was only half cleared. Wycombe ended the game grateful for the point that leaves them in 17th place in the table. Next game, home to Dagenham & Redbridge on Saturday (19th January). Wycombe: Archer, Harriman, Winfield, Hause, Dunne, Grant (sub 66 Andrade), Scowen, Lewis, Wood, Morgan, Kuffour (sub 66 McClure). Substitutes not used: Harrison, Spring, McCoy, Stewart, Ainsworth - Att: 4,507 (away 764)
(Wednesday 9th January 2013)
COTN continues the digital re-issue of supporters' fanzine 'Chairboys Gas' in order to mark the 25th anniversary of its original publication. Issue 5 for season 1987/88 was released on Saturday 2nd January 1988 as Wanderers took on Maidstone United at Loakes Park - a game that proved to be Manager Peter Suddaby's last in charge for the Wanderers following a 5-1 defeat. This issue includes Part 2 of the Brian Lee interview and more comment on the rising fanzine explosion at the time.
Download issue No.5 1987/88
(Saturday 5th January 2013)
Wycombe put in a sterling second half performance as they came from a goal down to beat Chesterfield 2-1 at Adams Park on Saturday. Gareth Ainsworth made five changes to the starting line-up that had lost to Exeter on New Years Day - naming loanee Michael Harriman for his first start ahead of the reported ill Marvin McCoy, while former Spireite Dean Morgan also returned along with Charles Dunne, Dave Winfield and Josh Scowen. The first half was generally dominated by a Chesterfield side that passed with ease through a lack-lustre Wycombe. It was no surprise when Jay O'Shea fired the visitors into the lead in the 29th minute with a shot from just inside the penalty area. Sam Wood came close to equalising a minute later with a low shot that skimmed wide of the post but Wycombe could have been 2-0 down on 32 minutes when O'Shea curled an effort from the edge of the box against the crossbar with Jordan Archer stranded. Marc Richards then headed just over before Wanderers snatched an equaliser on the stroke of half-time. The goal came after Scowen's corner from the left was forced in at the near post by Kortney Hause for his first Wanderers goal. The goal was a massive boost for Wycombe following a half where they were outplayed for long periods. Then after surving another Chesterfield effort that struck the woodwork a minute into the second period, Wycombe gradually began to get back into the game and were rewarded in the 54th minute when Jo Kuffour lobbed the ball over 'keeper Tommy Lee after Morgan's free-kick had been blocked. Morgan then saw another free-kick hit the crossbar on 59 minutes as Wanderers became the dominant team. Scowen also went close before a later rally from the visitors saw Wanderers' defence hold firm and frustrate the travelling support. The result sees Wycombe return to 17th place in the table. Next match, away to Wimbledon on Saturday (12th January). Wycombe: Archer, Harriman, Winfield, Hause, Dunne, Grant, Scowen, Lewis (sub 90 Stewart), Wood, Kuffour, Morgan (sub 90 Ainsworth) - subs not used: Harrison, Spring, Andrade, Morias, Oli - Att: 3,492 (away 350)
(Friday 4th January 2013)
Wanderers home 'League Two' meeting with Bradford City has been rearranged for Tuesday 12th February with a 7.45pm kick-off. The original game scheduled for 22nd December was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch at Adams Park. The postponement was the first Wanderers First Team game to be called off at Adams Park due to weather conditions since January 2002 when home games with both Huddersfield and Fulham were postponed due to a frozen pitch. The 'desso' pitch and undersoil heating installed in the summer of 2002 has prevented further postponements due to freezing conditions but was unable to help with the torrential conditions leading up to the Bradford game.
(Thursday 3rd January 2013)
The Club confirmed on Thursday 3rd January that striker Dean Morgan had agreed a contract extension until the end of 2012/13. The now 29 year old was signed by Gary Waddock in September 2012 on a 'short term deal' having been released by Chesterfield at the end of the previous campaign. He has since totalled 19 First Team apps for the Wanderers, netting 5 times in all competitions.
(Tuesday 1st January 2013)
Wanderers went down 1-0 to ten men Exeter City at Adams Park on New Years Day, with the misery compounded by a seeing Joel Grant's 54th minute penalty saved with the score at 0-0. Grant had returned to the side following his three match ban, while Dave Winfield and Dean Morgan also both returned following hamstring injuries to set up a near full strength Wanderers lineup. The majority of the first half was an even affair but an off the ball incident on 40 minutes spotted by the assistant referee where Jamie Cureton was red carded for kicking out at Anthony Stewart looked to have given the Wanderers the edge. Fit again Dean Morgan returned at the start of the second period for Jo Kuffour and when Pat Baldwin tripped Grant in the box, the resulting penalty was a glorious chance for Wycombe to take control. Grant picked himself to take the spot kick but the shot was too weak and easily blocked by Artur Krysiak in the Exeter goal. Grant desperately bundled the rebound over the line but not with being pulled up for a foul. As time went on Wanderers became increasingly frustrated by a stubborn City defence. New loan signing Michael Harriman was introduced for his Wanderers debut on 78 minutes but the game looked to be heading for a 0-0 stalemate when the visitors snatched an unlikely winner in the 84th minute. Jordan Archer managed to save John O’Flynn low effort only for the rebound to go into the net off the unfortunate Kortney Hause. Wanderers still pressed for an equaliser with Stewart seeing a shot saved by Krysiak, while Grant and Wood both shot over on a frustrating day for Wanderers followers. Wycombe: Archer, McCoy (sub 78 Harriman), Wood, Hause, Stewart, Grant, Lewis, Spring, Andrade, McClure (sub 58 Azeez), Kuffour (sub HT Morgan) - subs not used: Harrison, Winfield, Dunne, Morias - Att: 3,679
(Tuesday 1st January 2013)
Wanderers confirmed the signing of 20 year old Queens Park Rangers defender/midfielder Michael Harriman on an one month 'youth loan' ahead of the New Years Day meeting with Exeter City at Adams Park. Harriman has come through the youth system at Loftus Road and signed a two year deal with the Premier League side in May 2012 having previously made two substitute appearances for the First Team at the start of the 2011/12 campaign. He later went on to make ten appearances on loan at St Albans City in the Southern League but has not added to his First Team appearance tally with QPR. He has been allocated No.23 in the Wanderers squad.

Previous month ||| Latest news from
News Archive
December 2012
November 2012
October 2012
September 2012
August 2012
July 2012
News Archive
June 2012
May 2012
April 2012
March 2012
February 2012
January 2012
December 2011
November 2011
October 2011
September 2011
August 2011
July 2011
News Archive
June 2011
May 2011
April 2011
March 2011
February 2011
January 2011
December 2010
November 2010
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010
July 2010
News Archive
June 2010
May 2010
April 2010
March 2010
February 2010
January 2010
December 2009
November 2009
October 2009
September 2009
August 2009
July 2009
News Archive
June 2009
May 2009
April 2009
March 2009
February 2009
January 2009
December 2008
November 2008
October 2008
September 2008
August 2008
July 2008
News Archive
June 2008
May 2008
April 2008
March 2008
February 2008
January 2008
December 2007
November 2007
October 2007
September 2007
August 2007
July 2007
News Archive
June 2007
May 2007
April 2007
March 2007
February 2007
January 2007
December 2006
November 2006
October 2006
September 2006
August 2006
July 2006
News Archive
June 2006
May 2006
April 2006
March 2006
February 2006
January 2006
December 2005
November 2005
October 2005
September 2005
August 2005
July 2005
News Archive
June 2005
May 2005
April 2005
March 2005
February 2005
January 2005
December 2004
November 2004
October 2004
September 2004
August 2004
July 2004
News Archive
June 2004
May 2004
April 2004
March 2004
February 2004
January 2004
December 2003
November 2003
October 2003
September 2003
August 2003
July 2003
June 2003
News Archive
May 2003
April 2003
March 2003
February 2003
January 2003
December 2002
November 2002
October 2002
September 2002
August 2002
News Archive
goes back to 1997
Archive Index
Search Chairboys on the Net
enter keyword

powered by FreeFind

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet