September 2008 News Archive
All the news stories from September 2008
(Tuesday 30th September 2008)
Wanderers Reserves beat Peterborough United 2-1 in dramatic fashion at Marlow on Tuesday evening. The scores were level at 1-1 after 90 minutes when Wanderers were awarded a penalty when Callum Read handled for the visitors. However, Robert Rice missed a retaken penalty but moments later saw Nathan Ashton curl in a free-kick to win the game. Earlier Charlie Lee had given Posh the lead on 11 minutes with a 25 yarder past Jamie Young. Wanderers levelled on 75 minutes when Magno Vieira slotted the ball under opposing 'keeper Jim McKeown. Wanderers included Derby County triallist Matt Richards in their line-up and there was also a return for former Fulham defender Adam Green who played with Wycombe during pre-season. Reserves info 2008/9 Wycombe: Young, Green, Christon, Crooks, Rice, Phillips, Richards, Duncan, Ashton, Daly (sub HT Fitchett), Vieira - subs: Reading, Lumsden, Read, Pearce
(Monday 29th September 2008)
The Club have announced that they have agreed an initiative to allow free entry into the forthcoming Football League Trophy with Shrewsbury Town at Adams Park. The tie, set to be played on Tuesday 6th October with a 7pm kick-off, has been changed to free entry for current Season Ticket holders from both Wanderers and Shrewsbury and also to holders of the new Blues Card scheme. As previously reported on 22nd September, the membership scheme costs £5 for adults and £2.50 for concessions and is needed after 1st November 2008 in order to obtain the advanced matchday prices. Those who have already bought tickets for the Shrewsbury game and are eligible for free entry, can obtain a refund from their respective clubs.
Matchday BURY 0 WYCOMBE 0
(Saturday 27th September 2008)
Wanderers remain second in the table after playing out a 0-0 draw at League leaders Bury on Saturday afternoon. The major talking after the game was a 63rd minute downward header from David McCracken that was clawed away on the goalline by Bury 'keeper Wayne Brown, before being cleared by Paul Scott. Wanderers players in the goalmouth scramble claimed the ball had crossed the line. Video replays of the incident prove inconclusion, although the obligatory 'goalline technology' debate was raised after the game. Team news at Gigg Lane saw Peter Taylor make one change to the line-up that beat Dagenham the previous week with Scott McGleish returning to the starting XI to replace the suspended Simon Church. Tommy Doherty picked up his fourth booking of the season and is now just one more booking away from an automatic one match ban. Next game for the Wanderers is on Saturday 4th October when Bournemouth are the visitors to Adams Park. The Cherries started the season off on minus 17 points but have managed to reduce that to minus eight after eight games. Wycombe:Shearer, McCracken, Johnson, Williamson, Woodman, Grant (sub 57 Phillips), Doherty, Mousinho, Spence, Zebroski, McGleish (sub 69 Harrold) - subs not used Young, Ashton, Crooks - Att:3,597 (away end 258)
(Friday 26th September 2008)
Reading have agreed for Simon Church to spend a second loan spell at Wycombe starting from 17th October but it is now up to the striker to decide if he wants to return to Adams Park. Reading boss Steve Coppell has OK'd deal that will start after his three match ban for his red versus Dagenham and also after he is due to appear for the Welsh U21's against England. Meanwhile, Peter Taylor commented to the Bucks Free Press, "It's up to him now. The way he's been playing in training he would have a good chance of starting games here if he wants to come back."
(Thursday 25th September 2008)
The expected report on the feasibility of a 'Community Stadium' at Booker Airfield is not on the agenda of the Council Cabinet meeting due on Monday 29th September. The 'working party' were expected to report back to Council this month having gained agreement for the £250,000 budgeted investigation back in July of this year. The news comes in the same week that London Wasps CE Tony Copsey made more barbed comments to the press regarding their situation as tenants of Wycombe Wanderers. He told The Independent, "Everyone knows there is not a huge amount of elbow room at Adams Park, just as they know that our long-term plan is to move back into London and play at our own stadium." Copsey also expressed concern over the minimum capacity requirements for Premiership Rugby grounds being set at 12,000 by 2010/11. However, it's a figure that has been in the pipeline for a number of years and rewinding to May 2005, it was a figure that was originally intended to be mandatory for the 2007/8 season before backtacking by the rugby authorities. The feasibility report is now expected to be discussed at either the Full Council meeting on 6th October or the next Cabinet meeting on 3rd November. It was resolved at the previous meeting that 'the Council enter into an “exclusivity” agreement with London Wasps/ other involved parties". It was also noted, "that the issues associated with the capacity limitations at Adams Park stadium will need to be adequately addressed in the short term to meet requirements for rugby football and that this will involve applications for planning permission and a safety certificate".
(Tuesday 23rd September 2008)
Peter Taylor has stated his intention to keep loanee Simon Church for an extended period despite his impending three match ban. The Reading youngster will start his ban from Wycombe's game at Bury on Saturday - the day before the initial loan deal was due to end. However, Taylor, who has confirmed the Club will not be appealing against the red card, has also said that he hopes to sort out a deal that will run until the middle of December. Taylor told the local media, ""As far as I'm concerned I want to keep him for another couple of months. He's a good player and he's done well for us."
(Monday 22nd September 2008)
The Club have confirmed that from 1st November 2008 they will withdraw the right for Wycombe supporters to buy 'early discount' home matchday tickets for those without membership of 'The Blues Card' scheme. The cut-off date was published on the official website on 17th September. Current Season Ticket holders are automatically issued with a Blues Card but those without and wishing to take advantage of up to £2 discount of matchday prices will need to purchase a 'Blues Card' at a cost of £5 for adults and £2.50 for concessions. As previously reported on COTN, the card can be used to accumulate points through purchase of goods at the Club Shop and 'retail partners'. These points can then be redeemed against certain Club purchases. New cards will come credited with £2 worth of points for adults and £1 for concessions. For the current season, away supporters will still be able to obtain the 'early discount' by purchasing through their club. However, it's understood that the Club are considering withdrawing this option next season and beyond, with the discount being deemed a 'members only' benefit. A compromise may be the introduction of reciprocal discounts for members of equivalent schemes at opposition clubs.
Matchday WYCOMBE 2 DAG & RED 1
(Saturday 20th September 2008)
Wycombe hung on with ten men to secure three points against Dagenham & Redbridge at Adams Park on Saturday afternoon. Loanee Simon Church was sent-off for dangerous play on 20 minutes after his two footed tackle on Daggers Peter Gain was deemed a red card offence by referee Pat Miller However, Wanderers hit back to take the lead on 34 minutes when a super accurate header from Mike Williamson from the left side of the box ended in the opposite top corner of the Daggers goal. But Wanderers' clean sheet record was to go on 58 minutes when Ben Strevens equalised for the visitors when he was allowed space on the right side of the Wycombe box before slotting a low shot past Scott Shearer. Wycombe wouldn't lie down though and regained the lead ten minutes later - another right wing delivery from Lewwis Spence and another header back into the far corner of the Dagenham net from Williamson to cap his Man of the Match performance. The goal buoyed the atmosphere at Adams Park but it looked like disaster had struck in the fourth minute of stoppage time when Chris Zebroski chopped down Glenn Southam in his own box and the referee pointed to the spot. Up stepped Strevens against Shearer. The Wycombe 'keeper had made two decent stops moments before to keep Wycombe in front and he watched with glee as the former Barnet player struck his shot wide of the left hand upright. The final whistle went moments later to confirm an entertaining victory for Peter Taylor's side. It's back up to second in the table with the visit to leaders Bury coming up next Saturday. Wycombe: Shearer, McCracken, Williamson, Johnson, Woodman, Grant (sub 68 Harrold), Doherty, Mousinho, Spence (sub 68 Ashton), Zebroski, Church - subs not used: Young, McGleish, Phillips - Att:4,132 (away end 278)
(Friday 19th September 2008)
Former Manager Paul Lambert has spoken out for the first at allegations that he had overshot his budget by £300,000. He is quoted in the Bucks Free Press as saying, "I made them well over £300,000 in the first place. I would love to have seen some of the money I made them. I'm not having people say that when people haven't heard my side of the story. I could elaborate on it but I won't." Lambert went on to add that he stayed within his budget and that money promised during the League Cup run of 2006/07 wasn't made available. He said, "I was promised money after beating Notts County in the cup and then told I had to beat Charlton of the Premiership in the next round to get it, and I still didn't see it. All I ever asked for was players. I never asked for anything else" The overspending claims were fueled again when the BFP ran a story on 5th Sep 2008 claiming that Peter Taylor had been granted overnight stops for the team after Lambert 'had previously pushed for overnight stops but the privilege was withdrawn by the board when he overshot his budget.'
(Wednesday 17th September 2008)
The Club have fined Scott McGleish for his actions following his substitution in Saturday's 0-0 draw with Brentford. The incident saw the striker remove his shirt and throw it to the ground. Manager Peter Tyalor was quoted on the Bucks Free Press website as saying “He’s been disciplined for that. I don’t want to see that. It’s a team game. But he’s apologised and taken it on the chin." McGleish was the subject of earlier controversy in the close season when he suggested that if he didn't have a year of his contract to run he would have left the Club following the departure of Paul Lambert. Scott McGleish - player profile
(Tuesday 16th September 2008)
Wanderers Reserves registered an exciting 4-3 victory at Ipswich Town on Tuesday evening in their third Combination game of the season. Dean Bowditch put the home side ahead in the opening minute but Magno Vieira equalised on 30 minutes after he converted from a Matt Harrold assist. However, Bowdith restored Town's lead six minutes and completed his hat-trick three minutes before the break to give the Championship side a 3-1 lead at the break. Wanderers got themselves back into the game two minutes into the second-half when Harrold converted a penalty after Alex Bruce had committed a foul on Vieira. The equaliser came shortly afterwards on 50 minutes when Jordan Lumsden scored from a quick break. The winner came in bizzare circumstances when substitute Daniel Fitchett chased down a clearance from Town 'keeper Lewis Ward and the ball ended up in the net with the youngsters first touch of the ball. Next match for the Reserves, home to Peterborough on 30th September.
Reserves info 2008/9 Wycombe: Young, Clark, Read, Duncan, Crooks, Rice, Ashton (sub 76 Daly), Lumsden, Vieira, Phillips, Harrold (sub 76 Fitchett) - subs not used: Reading, Pearce, Lewis - Att: 219
(Monday 15th September 2008)
First year pros Callum Botham and Scott Shulton have both been loaned to 'Conference' South side Basingstoke Town. The duo made their debuts in Town's 1-0 defeat away to Fisher Athletic on Saturday. Both players signed one year deals with The Wanderers at the end of the 2007/8 season. Midfielder Shulton had previously been on loan at Hendon, while striker Botham was a regular scorer with the Under 18's in 2007/8.
(Monday 15th September 2008)
Wanderers fifth consecutive clean sheet achieved with the 0-0 draw with Brentford is a record in the Football League for the Club. The previous bests were four game runs during the 2006/7 season under Paul Lambert and the 1994/95 season under Martin O'Neill. The all time record for the Club in any League are six games without conceeding, achieved during the early stages of the 1972/73 season and twice during the 1971/72 season. On the latter occasion Wanderers went on to win the Isthmian League championship under the Managership of Brian Lee.
(Saturday 13th September 2008)
Wanderers dropped to third place in the 'League Two' table after playing out a goalless draw with Brentford at Adams Park on Saturday afternoon. Bradford are the new leaders of the division with Bury in second place, ahead of Wanderers on goal difference. The best chance for either side at Adams Park came on 75 minutes when substitute Matt Phillips crossed from the right for fellow sub Matt Harrold to meet at the far post with a header but Ben Hamer saved in the Bees goal. Meanwhile, the visitors had a strong claim for a penalty early in the second-half when Alan Bennett's headed looked to have been blocked by a Wycombe hand. Next game for Wycombe at home to Dagenham & Redbridge on Saturday 20th September. Wycombe: Shearer, McCracken, Williamson, Johnson, Woodman; Grant (sub 74 Phillips), Doherty, Mousinho, Spence (sub 58 Church), Zebroski, McGleish (sub 58 Harrold) - subs not used: Young, Ashton - Att:5,799 (away 1,475)
(Tuesday 9th September 2008)
Wanderers Reserves went down 4-1 to Southend United in their first home League fixture of the 2008/9 campaign on Tuesday evening, it what was also the first to be hosted at Oak Tree Road, home of Marlow FC. The match saw Matt Phillips make his return from injury but there were set-backs with Robert Rice limping off with a knee injury after nine minutes and with six minutes of normal time remaining, Derek Duncan picked up a calf injury and had to leave the pitch leaving Wycombe to complete the game with ten players.The visitors, who included former Wycombe transfer target Paul Furlong, took the lead on 8 minutes when Damien Scannell followed up a penalty save from Jamie Young. Southend doubled their lead on 22 minutes when Scannell fired home from 12 yards for his second goal. It was then 3-0 on 31 minutes after James Walker controlled and converted a cross from Johnny Herd. Magno Vieira pulled a goal back for Wycombe on 38 minutes with a clean strike from Callum Botham's flick-on. However, The Shrimpers added their fourth goal five minutes after the restart when Herd chipped over Young and there was no way back. Next game is away to Ipswich Town on Tuesday 16th September. Reserves info 2008/9 Wycombe: Young, Rice (sub 9 Read), Duncan, Christon, Crooks, Pearce (sub HT Phillips), Ashton, Lumsden, Vieira, Shulton, Botham (sub 62 Fitchett) - subs not used: Reading, Daly
(Monday 8th September 2008)
COTN understands that the Club hope to have their online ticket purchasing system back to full functionality shortly. The system, installed by Audience View in 2005, underwent an 'upgrade' during the lead up to the new season but as of Monday was still not allowing purchase of tickets for forthcoming fixtures. In the meantime, the Club are advising supporters to use the telephone hotline, commercial office, or temporary shop in the town shopping centre. Elsewhere, COTN has also learned that use of the trial 'Cash Only' turnstile at the Valley End has been minimal and the Club, who have still yet to publicise its existence, may reconsider its availability later this season.
(Saturday 6th September 2008)
Wanderers went to the top of 'League Two' after a 30th minute goal from Chris Zebroski gave them 1-0 victory at Rochdale on Saturday afternoon. It was Wanderers third consecutive away win in 'League Two' and although Wycombe achieved this feat as recent as during December and January of last season, it's the first time ever at the start of a Football League campaign and the first time at the start of any season since the start of the 1991/92 Conference season. The winning goal at Spotland came when a right wing corner from Lewwis Spence was headed goalwards at the far post by Mike Williamson and although the shot was blocked Zebroski was first to react and force the ball home. The goal came moments after midfielder Tommy Doherty had been withdrawn after taking a knock following a challenge with Rochdale's Chris Dagnall. The change saw Matt Harrold given his Wanderers debut and within moments he was joining in the celebrations for the goal that took Wanderers to the top of the League for the first time in two years. Next game at home to Brentford on Saturday 13th September. Wycombe: Shearer, McCracken, Johnson, Williamson, Woodman, Grant, Doherty (sub 30 Harrold), Mousinho, Spence, McGleish (sub 72 Church), Zebroski - subs not used Young, Ashton, Crooks - Att:2,880 (away 180)
Football League Trophy SHREWS IN F.L.TROPHY
(Saturday 6th September 2008)
Wanderers were draw at home to Shrewsbury Town in the Second Round of the 'Football League Trophy' when the draw was made on Saturday morning. The tie is scheduled to take place during the week commencing 6th October. Wycombe met Shrewsbury at the First Round stage of the same competition back in December 1998 when an extra-time 'golden goal' from Jermaine McSporran was enough to secure a 1-0 victory at Gay Meadow. Full draw - Southern section: Cheltenham v Walsall, Hereford v Swindon, Wycombe v Shrewsbury, Franchise v Bournemouth, Peterborough v Dagenham & Red, Brighton v Leyton Orient, Gillingham v Colchester, Luton v Brentford - Northern section: Tranmere v Crewe, Rochdale v Carlisle, Chester v Morecambe, Bury v Stockport, Scunthorpe v Grimsby, Rotherham v Leeds, Darlington v Huddersfield, Leicester v Lincoln - Round dates: Area Q/F w/c 3 Nov, Area S/F 15 Dec, Area Final 1st leg 19 Jan, 2nd leg 16 Feb, Final at Wembley Sunday 5 April.
(Tuesday 2nd September 2008)
Adams Park ground tenants London Wasps look to be turning up the heat on Wycombe District Council to push forward with their stadium ambitions following comments in the national press from Wasps CE Tony Copsey. He was quoted in The Independent as saying, "While we have a very good ground-share agreement with Wycombe Wanderers, it won't be long before demand outstrips supply. Our long-term vision is to play at our own stadium, and we'd like it to be in the capital". He went on to add, "Our business plan is centred around spending another five years where we are and we're making improvements all the time, with the help of the local council, which has become very proactive. But I'd never shut the door on the dream of going back to London. We'll have a much better idea of our options by Christmas." At present WDC look desperate to keep Wasps in Wycombe and have set aside a budget of £250,000 to investigate the feasibilty of a 'Community Stadium' at Booker Airfield that would be shared with the Wanderers - this would be funded via the Local Authority Business Growth Incentive Scheme. At a Special Council Cabinet meeting held on in July, the Council also revealed plans to "enter into an 'exclusivity' agreement with London Wasps/other involved parties". The 'Working Party' is due to report back to Council on 29th September 2008.
(Monday 1st September 2008)
Wanderers made their deadline day signing with the capture of Southend United striker Matt Harrold on a two year deal, the 24 year old joining for a fee understood to be around £10,000. Standing at 6'1", the former trainee at Southend, moved into non-League football to begin his football career before being picked up by Brentford in the summer of 2003 aged 19. The youngster made 23 League appearances for The Bees (including 21 as sub) during a two year spell but scored just twice. After loan spells with both Dagenham and Grimbsy, Harrold moved to Yeovil in June 2005 where the season ahead produced a return of 9 goals in 30 Football League starts. His return to Southend came in the summer of 2006 but he struggled to hold a regular place in the starting line-up - making 52 League appearances in two years (27 from the bench) and scoring three times. Manager Peter Taylor revealed he'd been tracking the player since he'd been transfer listed towards the end of last season, commenting, "I've seen Matt play a lot of times for Southend and I really like him. "He's got a lot of quality and he's got all the things you want from a big striker so I'm really pleased to have signed him."

Previous month ||| Latest news from
News Archive
August 2008
July 2008
News Archive
June 2008
May 2008
April 2008
March 2008
February 2008
January 2008
December 2007
November 2007
October 2007
September 2007
August 2007
July 2007
News Archive
June 2007
May 2007
April 2007
March 2007
February 2007
January 2007
December 2006
November 2006
October 2006
September 2006
August 2006
July 2006
News Archive
June 2006
May 2006
April 2006
March 2006
February 2006
January 2006
December 2005
November 2005
October 2005
September 2005
August 2005
July 2005
News Archive
June 2005
May 2005
April 2005
March 2005
February 2005
January 2005
December 2004
November 2004
October 2004
September 2004
August 2004
July 2004
News Archive
June 2004
May 2004
April 2004
March 2004
February 2004
January 2004
December 2003
November 2003
October 2003
September 2003
August 2003
July 2003
June 2003
News Archive
May 2003
April 2003
March 2003
February 2003
January 2003
December 2002
November 2002
October 2002
September 2002
August 2002
News Archive
goes back to 1997
Archive Index
Search Chairboys on the Net
enter keyword

powered by FreeFind

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet