March 2011 News Archive
All the news stories from March 2011
Berks and Bucks Senior Cup THRO TO B&B FINAL
(Tuesday 29th March 2011)
Wanderers will play Maidenhead United in the Final of the Berks & Bucks Senior (Invitation) Cup following a 4-1 victory over Chesham United in the Semi-Final on Tuesday evening at Burnham. Andy Sandell, continuing his recovery from injury, opened the scoring on 6 minutes with a solo effort - running through from midfield before firing home from 25 yards. Chesham equalised on the 30 minute mark when Steve Wales smashed a free-kick past Steve Arnold in the Wycombe goal. However, Wanderers secured their place in the Final following two goals within three minutes of the start of the second period. First Jon-Paul Pittman knocked in from close range after United 'keeper Shane Gore spilled an effort from Matt McClure and a minute later Pittman made the score 3-1 when he pounced on a loose ball following a corner. Wanderers victory was completed with a fourth goal on 84 minutes when Josh Scowen raced through before netting with confidence. But there was disappointment for Pittman with four minutes remaining when he was forced off with a rib injury that was due to be assessed on the Wednesday following the tie. The Final with Maidenhead, at a venue to be decided, will take place on Monday 2nd May 2011. Reserves info 2010/11 Wycombe:Arnold, Stewart, Sandell, Kiernan, Bennett; Harris, Scowen, Murtagh, Green (sub 77 Dunne), McClure (sub 89 Ware), Pittman (sub 86 Taylor) - subs not used: Ingram, Lloyd - Att:118
(Saturday 26th March 2011)
A three goal blitz in the ten minutes before the interval secured an emphatic 3-0 victory for the Wanderers at Morecambe on Saturday. With the game kicking off at 1pm due to the England/Wales international taking over the usual 3pm slot, both sides appeared lethargic in the opening stages before the Wanderers finally broke the deadlock on 35 minutes. The goal came after Gareth Ainsworth tumbled in the box following a challenge from Garry Hunter and Scott Rendell wrong footed the 'keeper from the resulting penalty. The penalty decision looked a little harsh but there was no denying Ainsworth's glory for the second goal less than two minutes later when he won the ball in midfield and then brushed aside two challenges before angling the ball past Roche from the right side of the box. The goal rout was complete on the stroke of half time when Scott Donnelly cut the ball across from the right before Rendell tucked the ball into the opposite corner of the net. The second half saw Wanderers initially look likely to add to their tally before the home side applied some late pressure with Nikki Bull once again hitting form to maintain a clean sheet and ensuring their were no late scares. Late on Gary Waddock gave a Football League debut to Second Year Youth Teamer Josh Scowen, while the result saw Wycombe jump back to second spot in the table after Bury drew 0-0 at Port Vale. Next game for Wanderers, at home to bottom placed Stockport County on Saturday 2nd April. Wycombe:Bull, McCoy, Winfield, Johnson, Foster, Ainsworth (sub 76 Murtagh), Donnelly (sub 82 Pittman), Montrose, Betsy (sub 90 Scowen), Rendell, Beavon - subs not used: Arnold, Bennett, McClure, Harris - Att:1,940 (away 261)
(Wednesday 23rd March 2011)
Jon-Paul Pittman scored twice as Wanderers Reserves beat Gillingam 3-0 at Burnham on Wednesday evening. Wycombe, who include Andy Sandell returning from injury, saw Pittman open the scoring on 36 minutes when he latched onto a cross from League Two Apprentice of the Year Kadeem Harris, before firing home. Scott Donnelly and Matt McClure both went close to extending Wycombe's lead during the second half before Pittman struck again with three minutes of normal time remaining when he tapped home after an Anthony Stewart shot had been blocked. Stewart then got a goal of his own in the dying seconds when he headed home following a cross to the far post from Harris. Next game for the Reserves is expected to be the Berks & Bucks Senior Trophy Semi-Final meeting with Chesham United at Burnham on Tuesday 29th March, 7.30pm kick-off. The winner will play Maidenhead United in the Final. Reserves info 2010/11 Wycombe:Arnold, Jamie McGuinness, Sandell (sub HT Oliver Taylor ), Bennett, Stewart, Scowen, Donnelly (sub 60 Miles Smith), Kewley-Graham (sub 23 Charles Dunne), Harris, McClure, Pittman - subs not used: Ingram, Weemes
(Saturday 19th March 2011)
A controversial goal from Gareth Ainsworth saw Wanderers grab a 1-1 draw at fourth placed Shrewsbury on Saturday. A James Collins goal on 31 minutes following a slip by Matt Bloomfield left Wycombe trailing 1-0 at the break but five minutes into the second period Ainsworth glanced a header goalwards after Lewis Montrose's shot had been deflected into the path of the former QPR midfielder. Shrews 'keeper Benjamin Smith got down low to scoop the ball away before it crossed the line but unbelievably the Assistant Referee on the opposite side signalled a goal, promoting Ainsworth and Wycombe contingent to celebrate. Although, the goal came in disputed circumstances it came during an improved performance from Gary Waddock's side featuring three changes from the side that had lost to Stevenage a week previous. The point could also prove crucial come the end of the season after a weekend when all of the chasing packbehind runaway leaders Chesterfield dropped points. Wycombe travel to Morecambe next Saturday (1pm kick-off) as they aim to leapfrog second placed Bury who lie on the same points as Wycombe but with a far superior goal difference. Wycombe:Bull, McCoy, Johnson, Winfield, Foster, Ainsworth (sub 84 Strevens), Montrose, Bloomfield (sub 74 Donnelly), Betsy, Beavon, Rendell (sub 66 Pittman) - subs not used: Arnold, Bennett, Kiernan, McClure - Att:5,886
(Tuesday 15th March 2011)
Wanderers Reserves beat Aldershot Town 1-0 at Burnham on Tuesday evening thanks to an Alan Bennett header ten minutes from time. A relatively strong Wycombe line-up dominated for long periods of the game but it wasn't until Bennett met a Scott Donnelly corner with 80 minutes on the clock that the deadlock was broken. Next Combination game for the Wanderers is at home to Gillingham on Wednesday 23rd March - Kick-off 7pm at Burnham FC. Reserves info 2010/11 Wycombe:Arnold; Stewart, Dunne, Bennett, Kiernan; Montrose, Scowen, Donnelly; Rendell, Pittman, McClure - subs not used: Ingram, Kewley-Graham, Kretzschmar, Harris, Taylor
(Saturday 12th March 2011)
Former Wanderer John Mousinho came back to haunt The Wanderers on Saturday as Stevenage went away with a 1-0 on their first ever visit to Adams Park. Mousinho struck home from around 30 yards a minute into the second-half with a low shot that zipped past Nikki Bull and into the left corner of the Valley Net. Earlier in the game Mousinho had been involved in a controversial challenge with Stuart Lewis that forced the Wycombe player to be replaced at the break and later to leave the ground on crutches nursing a leg injury. It came during a disappointing display from Wycombe who failed to score at home in the League for the first time since August 2010 and who failed to take advantage of a playing against ten men for the final 20 minutes after Scott Laird was sent-off for a second bookable offence when he tripped Ben Strevens on route to goal. Wycombe struggled to create anything worthwhile in front of goal and the scoreline could have been worst had it not been for another string of excellent stops by 'keeper Bull who even came up for a corner in the dying moments. With ten games remaining Wanderers sit in third spot in the table with 60 points. Chesterfield remain in top spot with 71 points from 37 games, followed by Bury on 61 points from 35. Below Wycombe are Rotherham (56 from 36), Shrewsbury (56 from 36), Gillingham (56 from 37), Port Vale (55 from 35) and just outside the play-off zone, Torquay (51 from 35). Wanderers travel to Shrewsbury next Saturday (19th March), followed by the trip to Morecambe on Saturday 26th March, before returning to Adams Park on Saturday 2nd April to take on struggling Stockport County. Wycombe:Bull, McCoy, Winfield, Westwood, Foster, Ainsworth (sub 68 Pittman), Lewis (sub HT Montrose), Bloomfield, Betsy, Beavon (sub 53 Rendell), Strevens - subs not used: Arnold, Johnson, Donnelly, McClure - Att:4,453 (away 500 approx)
(Friday 11th March 2011)
Wanderers defender Marvin McCoy has agreed to a new contract running until June 2013. McCoy joined Wycombe in the summer of 2010 from Wealdstone and after breaking into the First Team in early January 2011 went on to become virtually ever present in the starting line-up. The 22 year old told the Wanderers Official website that he was 'buzzing' after signing the new deal, adding, "I'm playing games, I'm enjoying it, I've got a good manager and there's a good set of lads here. I'm learning in every game I play in and I just want to progress."
(Thursday 10th March 2011)
COTN continues its 10th anniversary look back at the famous FA Cup run of the 2000/2001 season - we are now at the Quarter-Final stage and a trip to Filbert Street to take on then Premier League Leicester City on Saturday 10th March 2001. Take a look back at the COTN match report and also check the FA Cup links page for other reports that still may be available.
(Tuesday 8th March 2011)
Wanderers won for the first since at Underhill in more than 25 years after a Chris Westwood goal was enough to see off second from bottom Barnet 1-0 on Tuesday evening. Westwood's goal in the second minute of first-half stoppage time came after the home side looked slightly the better side in the opening exchanges - Nikki Bull again coming to Wanderers rescue after he tipped efforts from Mark Hughes and Clovis Kamdjo onto the woodwork. But as half-time approached it was Wanderers who broke the deadlock when Westwood headed in a Matt Bloomfield corner. Bull thwarted the Bees again in the second period with another series of stops but Wycombe also went close to extending their lead in the 84th minute when Scott Rendell headed against the upright from a Bloomfield corner. A miserable night for Barnet was compounded as the game entereed stoppage time - Rossi Jarvis being sent-off after picking up a second yellow card following a foul on Westwood. Wanderers remain third in the table with Stevenage the next opponents when they visit Adams Park on Saturday (12th March). Wycombe:Bull, McCoy, Westwood, Johnson, Foster, Ainsworth (sub 71 McClure), Bloomfield, Lewis (sub 87 Montrose), Betsy, Beavon (sub 77 Rendell), Strevens - subs not used: Arnold, Kiernan, Pittman, Donnelly - Att:1,520 (away 480)
(Saturday 5th March 2011)
Wanderers dropped to third place in 'League Two' after drawing 2-2 with Aldershot Town at Adams Park on Saturday. Former Shots boss Gary Waddock made five changes to the Wycombe line-up that had lost 4-1 in the week at leaders Chesterfield but it was the visitors who looked the better side in the opening exchanges and eventually went ahead in the 26th minute when a Luke Gutteridge free-kick from around 20 yards to the the left of midfield went through the five man wall to leave Nikki Bull stranded. It was to Wanderers relief a minute before the break when Kevin Betsy curled in a cross ball from the right that Leon Johnson got a leg to, forcing Shots 'keeper Jamie Young to push away only for Danny Foster to fling himself at the far post to head home and level the scores at half-time. It was then Wanderers who took the initiative to grab the lead three minutes after the restart when Scott Rendell flicked a header across to Betsy on the right of goal who finished in style with a low angled shot into the opposite corner of the Vallety End net. From that point Wanderers had the better chances to seal the victory but conceeded again on 76 minutes when John Halls was allowed to fire home from the edge of the penalty area. Wycombe continued to press for a winner and came closest when Leon Johnson's looping header from a Matt Bloomfield cross from the right struck the upright on 84 minutes. Next game for Wanderers, away to second from bottom Barnet on Tuesday (8th March) - a venue Wycombe have not won at a senior level since 1985. Wycombe:Bull, McCoy, Westwood, Johnson, Foster, Betsy, Lewis, Bloomfield (sub 85 Donnelly), Beavon (sub 85 Pittman), Rendell (sub 78 Ainsworth), Strevens - subs not used: Arnold, Bennett, Montrose, McClure - Att:4,421 (away 500 approx)
(Wednesday 2nd March 2011)
A youthful Wanderers Reserves side lost 3-0 to Crawley at Burnham on Wednesday evening. Richard Brodie scored twice for the opponents who included former Wanderer Scott Shearer between the posts. Reserves info 2010/11 Wycombe:Arnold, Duffy, Styles (sub Smith), Stewart, Dunn, Olukanmi, Kewley-Graham, Ware (sub Lloyd), Scowen, Harris, McClure - subs not used: Ingram, Taylor, Weemes
(Tuesday 1st March 2011)
Wanderers crashed to a 4-1 defeat away to 'League Two' leaders Chesterfield on Tuesday evening. Gary Waddock made just one change from the starting XI that won at Macclesfield the previous Saturday - Alan Bennett stepping in for the suspended Dave Winfield. But Wanderers were to fall behind in the 27th minute when Danny Foster conceeded a free-kick to the left of goal - Danny Smalley sweeping the ball home through a huddle of players as Wycombe's defence failed to clear. The home side then doubled their lead in the 36th minute when Bennett was adjudged to have fouled Jack Lester in the box and Danny Whitaker converted the resulting spot-kick. Thoughts of comeback from the travelling contingent of around 350 Wycombe fans were quashed when Lester netted a minute in the second-half when he held off his marker, before turning and shooting past Nikki Bull. John-Paul Pittman did grab a consolation goal for Wycombe on 81 minutes when the Wanderers striker followed up to fire home after Ben Strevens initial shot had been pushed away by Chesterfield 'keeper Tommy Lee. But Chesterfield drummed home their dominance on the night when on 88 minutes Scott Boden got the better of Bennett to lay the ball across to Craig Davies who slotted past Bull to complete a miserable night for Wanderers. The result means that Chesterfield have opened up a nine point gap ahead of second placed Wycombe but having played a game more. Next match for Wanderers, home to Aldershot Town on Saturday (5th March). Wycombe:Bull, McCoy, Bennett, Kiernan (sub 63 Westwood), Foster, Ainsworth (sub 73 Betsy), Montrose (sub 73 Bloomfield), Lewis, Strevens, Rendell, Pittman - subs not used: Arnold, Beavon, Donnelly, McClure - Att:6,392 (away 356)

Previous month ||| Latest news from
News Archive
February 2011
January 2011
December 2010
November 2010
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010
July 2010
News Archive
June 2010
May 2010
April 2010
March 2010
February 2010
January 2010
December 2009
November 2009
October 2009
September 2009
August 2009
July 2009
News Archive
June 2009
May 2009
April 2009
March 2009
February 2009
January 2009
December 2008
November 2008
October 2008
September 2008
August 2008
July 2008
News Archive
June 2008
May 2008
April 2008
March 2008
February 2008
January 2008
December 2007
November 2007
October 2007
September 2007
August 2007
July 2007
News Archive
June 2007
May 2007
April 2007
March 2007
February 2007
January 2007
December 2006
November 2006
October 2006
September 2006
August 2006
July 2006
News Archive
June 2006
May 2006
April 2006
March 2006
February 2006
January 2006
December 2005
November 2005
October 2005
September 2005
August 2005
July 2005
News Archive
June 2005
May 2005
April 2005
March 2005
February 2005
January 2005
December 2004
November 2004
October 2004
September 2004
August 2004
July 2004
News Archive
June 2004
May 2004
April 2004
March 2004
February 2004
January 2004
December 2003
November 2003
October 2003
September 2003
August 2003
July 2003
June 2003
News Archive
May 2003
April 2003
March 2003
February 2003
January 2003
December 2002
November 2002
October 2002
September 2002
August 2002
News Archive
goes back to 1997
Archive Index
Search Chairboys on the Net
enter keyword

powered by FreeFind

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet