Wycombe Wanderers Match reports brought to you by Chairboys on the Net Chairboys Match Facts
brought to you by
Chairboys on the Net
Click here for the latest match previews and reports 

Click here to download your FREE Wycombe Wanderers Desktops

The Axa sponsored FA Cup Oxford City v WYCOMBE
Tuesday 16th November 1999
FA Cup 1st Round Proper Replay
It took 300 minutes but Wycombe finally squeeeezed into the Second Round of the FA Cup thanks to a solitary strike from Steve Brown six minutes into the second-half after Matt Lawrence had headed on. It was another incredible display by Ryman League Oxford City and they thoroughly deserved their applause at the end. The victory earns Wycombe a home tie with Wigan Athletic in the Second Round on Saturday 20th November.
On a cold night at The Manor Ground, Wycombe welcomed back Dave Carroll back into the starting line-up for the first time in over a month. Wycombe hadn't won a game since Carroll's injury against Cambridge United and it was no coincidence that he provided that needed creativity in midfield. Keith Ryan also returned after missing the previous three games. Jason Cousins sat out the game due to a one match suspension for his red card at Oldham.
Kicking down the slope, Wycombe had the vast majority of the possession in the first-half but the front men seemed to lack confidence in front of goal. On 20 minutes Wycombe tried to walk the ball into the net but Carroll's final effort was too weak. A minute later ex-City player Jermaine McSporran saw a fierce shot skim off the left-hand upright. Sean Devine saw headers go wide and saved within a three minute spell just before the half-hour mark before Wycombe were warned again of the threat of non-leaguers - Jason Davey waltzing through from midfield as the Wycombe defence looked on. Canadian Mark Rogers and Jamie Bates saw headers fail to hit the target before Wycombe were nearly made to pay dearly for not taking those chances.  Davy found himself one-on-one with Taylor in the final minute of the first-half but fortunately for Wycombe, the City dangerman mis-kicked much to the amusement of the Wycombe fans on the terraces.
Half-time 0-0
Steve Brown in action against City in pre-season friendly - who would have thought....?Brown's goal - a great low strike after he came in from the left side, settled some of the Wycombe nerves but the players still could not find the decisive second goal to kill the tie. After McSporran had been replaced by Paul Emblen, Wycombe went close again - this time Devine cantering down the left before Carroll was unable to turn the ball home with an acrobatic flick. At the other end it was generally a quiet night for Martin Taylor but there was still time for City substitute Tate Hulbert to drive a low shot inches wide as time was running out for the Ryman League side. Devine had another chance to seal the game in stoppage time before referee Paul Danson finally brought to a close this epic cup-tie. The City players can look back on the encounters with pride and the thoughts of what might of been, while for Wycombe and the loyal fans who have had to endure these three games, it's probably better to look forward to the rest of the season.
Final Score Oxford City 0 Wycombe 1 
WYCOMBE TEAM: Taylor, Lawrence, Rogers, Beeton, Bates, Simpson, Carroll, Brown, Ryan (sub 90 Bulman), Devine, McSporran (sub 70 Emblen) subs not used Vinnicombe, Harkin and Osborn Att;4,004
Archive Reports
Looking for another match report? Take a stroll through our match report archive -
Every First Team match since August 1996. All match reports © 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 Chairboys on the Net - Not to be reproduced without our permission.
Unless stated Wycombe Wanderers pictures are with kind permission of Paul Dennis (LRPS)
For copies or further information he can be contacted on (+44)(0)1622-735143

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet