Wycombe Wanderers Match reports brought to you by Chairboys on the Net Chairboys Match Facts
brought to you by
Chairboys on the Net
Click here for the latest match previews and reports 

Click here to download your FREE Wycombe Wanderers Desktops

The Axa sponsored FA Cup WYCOMBE
v Oxford City
Saturday 30th October 1999
FA Cup 1st Round Proper
Sanch and Gibbo hold the FA Cup as seen on the cover of the Wycombe v Oxford programme 30th October 1999 - copyright Wycombe Wanderers Football Club Wycombe turned in a shocking display against Ryman League Division One side Oxford City in the FA Cup First Round. The game ended 1-1 after City defender Richard Pierson headed home with four minutes left on the clock to cancel out Michael Simpson's earlier goal. A nervy Wycombe took nearly 30 minute to create an opening against a side 100 places below them in league positions. By then City could have been 2-0 up as the nippy Jason Davy caused embarrassment for the sluggish Wycombe defence. Martin Taylor also made amends for his blunders the previous week when he blocked another Davy effort two minutes before the break. Earlier Keith Ryan had a free header from a right wing cross from Michael Simpson but 'Rhino' headed over the bar while Simpson saw a long range effort pushed away by the City 'keeper on 37 minutes. A minute later City's Michael Thorp saw his header drop onto the top of the Wycombe crossbar after a free-kick had been delivered into the Wycombe box following a Ryan foul. Andy Baird missed a golden chance four minutes before the break when he contrived to miss from close range after Devine had worked an opening. With the rain lashing down Wycombe were grateful to go in level at the break.
Half-time Wycombe 0 City 0
The match should have been a special occasion for Jermaine McSporran who joined Wycombe from Oxford City last November. McSporran had fired City Manager Paul Lee after being quoted in the Oxford Mail of saying that City's defence is slow and the game should be over by half-time but McSporran had a disappointing game and was substituted after 60 minutes. Wycombe looked more lively after Emblen had replaced McSporran - the goal hero at Lincoln firing wide from a Simpson corner three minutes after coming on. When Simpson tucked in Alan Beeton's low cross from the left after 66 minutes it looked like Wycombe had got out of jail. Five minutes later Andy Baird saw his downward header brilliantly saved by City 'keeper Alan Foster but Wycombe failed to kill the game off. Mo Harkin had a lively fifteen minutes when he replaced Steve Brown but with just five minutes left a defensive mix-up involving debutant Mark Rogers forced Taylor to make another first-class save from Davy. However, the resulting corner from substitute Matty Whitehead saw Pierson's glancing header find the back of the net despite seven Wyombe defenders being in the six yard box. Even then Wycombe had a chance to win the game when Harkin sent Devine through on the left but his low cross was somehow turned wide of the target by Baird. At the final whistle the Oxford fans were dancing in the rain while the Wycombe faithful were left in shock for the second week running.
Final Score Wycombe 1 Oxford City 1
WYCOMBE TEAM:Taylor, Rogers, Beeton, Cousins, Bates, Ryan, Simpson, Baird, Brown (sub 74 Harkin), McSporran (sub 60 Emblen), Devine subs not used Vinnicombe Bulman and Osborn Att:2,963
Archive Reports
Looking for another match report? Take a stroll through our match report archive -
Every First Team match since August 1996. All match reports © 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 Chairboys on the Net - Not to be reproduced without our permission.
Unless stated Wycombe Wanderers pictures are with kind permission of Paul Dennis (LRPS)
For copies or further information he can be contacted on (+44)(0)1622-735143

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet