Wycombe Wanderers Match reports brought to you by Chairboys on the Net Chairboys Match Facts
brought to you by
Chairboys on the Net
Click here for the latest match previews and reports 

The Axa sponsored FA Cup Oxford City v WYCOMBE
Tuesday 9th November 1999
FA Cup 1st Round Proper Replay
Wycombe were literally saved by the bell when after 120 more painful minutes against Ryman League Oxford City and penalties just about to be taken, safety officials announced that the game had been abandoned due to "unforeseen circumstances". It was later revealed that an electrical fault in the floodlight circuitry beneath the stand holding the away fans had activated a smoke detector and subsequently a fire alarm. A further alarm in the Old Main Stand prompted the Club's Safety Officer, Frank Knowles, to abandon the game and leave supporters from both sides totally confused with the situation. More on this via the news page
If that was a farce, what had proceeded it was certainly on a par after Wycombe were made to look very ordinary by a side league's below them. Wycombe were given another lesson in playing with a passion and when Dwaine Strong picked up on another defensive slip-up to round Martin Taylor and put City ahead on 38 minutes it was no less than the non-League side deserved. Wycombe hardly troubled City 'keeper Alan Foster in the first-half, the nearest effort coming on 19 minutes when Paul Emblen failed in an one on one situation. Andy Baird missed a good chance on 28 minutes after Devine had touched the ball to him and a minute later Jason Cousins headed thin air from a right-wing corner from Michael Simpson. It was on the half-hour mark that City forced their first corner and the resulting scramble in the Wycombe box was warning yet again that this wasn't going to be an easy night. City's goal came after a catastrophic back pass by Simpson. Shaun Wimble picked up the ball and fed Strong who cooly rounded Taylor to set up a potential upset.  
Half-time City 1 Wycombe 0
Wycombe looked shellshocked after the goal but a lifeline came on 58 minutes when Michael Simpson blasted home completely out of the blue after a quick throw from Alan Beeton down the left side. Once again Wycombe failed to turn the screw and City were in no mood to throw in the towel. Terry Sweeney forced Taylor to make a low save to his left on 68 minutes while Wycombe's best chance to snatch the game came two minutes from the end of normal time when Sean Devine angled a shot inches wide when he broke in from the left. Seven minutes from the end of extra-time Jamie Bates came to the rescue with a last ditch tackle and City went even closer before Devine had a goal disallowed for offside on the stroke of 120 minutes. What followed completed the farce for the night and now the game must be replayed. The winners will be at home to Wigan Athletic in Round Two but after this many Wycombe fans are past caring.  
Final Score Oxford City 1 Wycombe 1 (after extra-time and then abandoned)
WYCOMBE TEAM:Taylor, Lawrence, Rogers (sub 90 McSporran), Beeton, Cousins, Bates, Simpson, Baird, Harkin (sub 60 Brown), Emblen (sub 99 Bulman), Devine subs not used Vinnicombe and Osborn Att:2,586
Archive Reports
Looking for another match report? Take a stroll through our match report archive -
Every First Team match since August 1996. All match reports © 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 Chairboys on the Net - Not to be reproduced without our permission.
Unless stated Wycombe Wanderers pictures are with kind permission of Paul Dennis (LRPS)
For copies or further information he can be contacted on (+44)(0)1622-735143

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet