Wycombe Wanderers Match reports brought to you by Chairboys on the Net Chairboys Match Facts
brought to you by
Chairboys on the Net
Click here for the latest match previews and reports 

Nationwide League Division Two Brentford v WYCOMBE
Saturday 19th February
Division Two
Wycombe failed to complete their first ever double over The Bees at Griffin Park on Saturday and were eventually thankful of a point as the game ended goalless. After a disappointing opening 45 minutes for both sides, Brentford came on strong in the second half and it was only down to some fine reaction saves from Martin Taylor plus poor finishing from The Bees that Wycombe returned with something to show from the day.
The large contingent of Wycombe fans saw Jermaine McSporran return to side after his month lay-off due to an appendicitis - he replaced the injured Andy Baird. There were no other changes from the side that lost to Oxford United the week before as Sanchez stuck with his strongest line-up available.
Ex-Wanderer Martin Rowlands went close for the home side after just four minutes but it proved to be a rare piece of goalmouth action in a tame first half. In fact after Rowlands' miss Wycombe had the clearer openings. On 26 minutes Sean Devine cut in from the left but the chance disappeared as the angle narrowed. Four minutes later Devine skyed a chance into the home terrace after McSporran had played the ball through. The best chance of the half fell to Jason Cousins when Wycombe's fifth corner of the half was delivered by Steve Brown but after Michael Simpson had centered, Cousins shot high of the target from 12 yards. A clash in midfield on 37 minutes left Matt Lawrence clutching his leg in agony and he was eventually carried off to be replaced by Mark Rogers.
Half-time 0-0
Brentford came out strongly in the second-half and on 49 minutes Owusu found space on the right but luckily for Wycombe he sliced his shot onto the outside of Taylor's post. A double Brentford substitution on 56 minutes saw Gareth Graham and Steve Jones replace Ivar Ingimarsson and Lorenzo Pinamonte and sparked a spell of pressure from the home side. On 59 minutes Rowlands sent a rocket towards the top corner only to look away in amazement as Taylor palmed the ball wide. Taylor then tipped over a header from the resulting corner. A rare Wycombe attack in the 66th minute saw Simpson catch Bee's 'keeper Andy Woodman out of goal but McSporran's attempt at the keeperless goal was cleared off the line. Taylor was called into action in the 75th minute when he blocked from Rowlands and this was quickly followed by the Wycombe 'keeper holding onto an effort from substitute Graham. Four minutes later it was The Bee's other sub, Jones, who saw Taylor complete his days repertoire of saves when he tipped over his header following another Brentford corner. The home side ran out of ideas in the dying minutes and Mark Rogers could have won the game for Wycombe when he headed over from a left side corner. Keith Ryan talked his way into referee Graham Laws notebook shortly before the official called a halt to the day's proceedings.
Wycombe have still never won a Football League game at Griffin Park in five attempts - with four draws and one defeat. Saturday's draw keeps Wycombe in 12th place in the table 

Final Score Brentford 0 Wycombe 0

Wycombe Team:Taylor, Lawrence (sub 39 Rogers), Vinnicombe, Cousins, McCarthy, Carroll, Ryan, Devine, McSporran (sub 84 Senda), Simpson, Brown subs not used Harkin, Bulman, Brady Att:5,981

OPTA stats The Brentford Connection by OPTA
Archive Reports
Looking for another match report? Take a stroll through our match report archive -
Every First Team match since August 1996. All match reports © 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999,2000 Chairboys on the Net - Not to be reproduced without our permission.

Unless stated Wycombe Wanderers pictures are with kind permission of Paul Dennis (LRPS)
For copies or further information he can be contacted on (+44)(0)1622-735143

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet