Wycombe Wanderers Match reports brought to you by Chairboys on the Net Worthington Cup 1999
special reports brought to you by

Chairboys on the Net


Other Match reports are available via this link
The Worthington Cup WYCOMBE v WOLVES
Tuesday 10th August
Football League Cup 1st Round First Leg

Paul Emblen - brother Neil got the better of him on in the First
Leg at Adams Park - picture with kind permission of Paul Dennis - see below for details.The first ever senior meeting between Wycombe and Wolves ended with a 1-0 victory for the team from Molineux. In a rather lack-lustre game, the only goal came after 53 minutes when Paul McCarthy handled a goalbound effort on the line and after 'Macca' was shown the red card, Keith Curle converted the chance to give Wolves the edge in the second leg.
Before the game Comanche made an appearance - placed on the centre-circle facing the Wolves fans while Big Chief Sanchez made the surprise decision of giving Lee Holsgrove his first start in professional football ahead of Dave Carroll and Paul Emblen got his chance to line up in opposition to his brother Neil.
It was Neil Emblen who had the first chance of the game when he glanced a header a fraction past the Wycombe post after 7 minutes. At the other end the pace of McSporran was again the highlight of Wycombe's attacks. On 15 minutes 'Jock' sped down the right before sending in a low cross that failed to meet the vital touch. The visitors looked dangerous on the break and on 20 minutes Haavard Flo flicked in a header that Taylor watched go wide of his left hand post. That effort seemed to gee up Wycombe and on 28 minutes should have taken the lead when McSporran blasted over with the goal at his mercy after Mike Stowell in the Wolves goal had lost the ball in the air. Five minutes later Paul Emblen turned quickly in the area after a left wing cross from Devine but Stowell made a good stop. Carl Robinson flashed a ball past the Wycombe post on 38 minutes before Wycombe finished the half on top when Devine saw a curling free-kick picked out from the under the crossbar by Stowell.
Half-time Wycombe 0 Wolves 0
The game turned in the 53rd minute when Paul McCarthy showed us his goal-keeping skills once again - pushing a goalbound effort away with a deliberate hand-ball. With 'Macca' dispatched Keith Curle sent Taylor the wrong way to give Wolves the lead. Wolves seemed to settle for their first leg advantage while Sanchez tried to re-organise his troops by swopping around the formation. On 69 minutes Steve Brown had the vision to find McSporran on the left side but the shot was dragged wide of the far post. Dave Carroll was sent on for Holsgrove and the Wycombe stalwart was involved in Wycombe's best chance to equalise when he laid a McSporran left wing cross back to Keith Ryan but Captain Rhino fired over from 20 yards to end a disappointing evening for the Ryan and the Wycombe fans.
Final Score Wycombe 0 Wolves 1
WYCOMBE TEAM:Taylor, Lawrence, Vinnicombe, McCarthy, Bates, Holsgrove (sub 69 Carroll), Ryan, Devine (sub 71 Simpson), Brown, McSporran, Emblen (sub 54 Cousins) subs not used Senda and Osborn Att:4,564

Back To Top
The Worthington Cup WOLVES v WYCOMBE
Tuesday 24th August
Football League Cup 1st Round Second Leg
Jermaine McSporran - two unbelievable goals
at Molineux in the Second Leg - picture with kind permission of Paul Dennis - see below for details.
Wycombe put in a sensational performance at Molineux on to dump Wolves out of the Worthington Cup with a 4-2 victory on the night and 4-3 on aggregate. Two breathtaking strikes from Jermaine McSporran sandwiched between an own goal from Kevin Muscat and a late Keith Ryan strike, sent the travelling Wycombe army into awayday dreamland yet again. 
Wycombe seemed totally unaffected by the illustrious setting and once they had survived a nervy opening ten minutes it was Sean Devine who got things moving when his close range shot following a cross field pass from Matt Lawrence was saved by Mike Stowell but Muscat sent the ball into the his own net. Wycombe survived a minor attacking spell from Wolves with Keith Ryan's headed clearance on 19 minutes proving vital as Wycombe went further ahead seven minutes later.. McSporran zipped onto a through ball down the left to leave the Wolves defence chasing heals and 'keeper Mike Stowell picking the ball out of the net. It was simply a stunning individual goal and one that must have got the Wolves fans and officials alike thinking of spending some of the 6m recevied for Robbie Keane. Wolves could have pulled a goal back on 31 minutes when Andy Sinton charged in from the left but he pulled his shot wide of Martin Taylor's far post. But it was Wycombe who finished the half well on top. On 35 minutes Dave Carroll weaved in from the left but there was no glory finish. Then on 42 minutes Carroll laid the ball back to Lee Holsgrove but he blazed over from 20 yards. McSporran wasted a glorious chance to put Wycombe 3-0 up a minute before the break after Devine gave him an opening with a pass from the right side of the Wolves box.
Half-time Wolves 0 Wycombe 2
McSporran was in the action again three minutes into the second-half when Keith Curle retaliated to a McSporran foul by kicking the whizkid to the floor. Handbags at twenty paces ensued as all but the goalkeepers joined in. A double save by Martin Taylor on 55 minutes was made to look critical when McSporran hit a amazing lob over Stowell from all of thirty yards that skimmed down the back of the Wolves net to put Wycombe 3-0 up. A minute later Devine shot on the turn but wide as Wycombe turned on the style and the locals made for the exits. Wycombe bodly put Andy Baird for Devine on 75 minutes but within a minute Wolves had reduced the deficit when Colin Larkin powered in a deep cross from the left. Wycombe sensibly ran down the time as Wolves threw more players forward but it nearly back-fired as the referee made it clear he would be adding on time. Steve Brown was unlucky to pick up his first booking of the season with five minutes of normal time remaining but after Alan Beeton was introduced for the first time since his meningitis scare, it was Keith Ryan who effectievly sealed the result for Wycombe on 90 minutes - ramming in a ball at the far post after a cross from the right. Referee Mike Pike added on a seemingly endless amount of stoppage time and in the 94th minute Neil Emblen pulled a goal back for Wolves just a minute after his brother had entered the field - replacing an injured Keith Ryan. Just for good measure another four minutes were added before the Wycombe players and fans could celebrate in style and dream of who was to follow in the next round
Final Score Wolves 2 Wycombe 4 (agg 3-4)
WYCOMBE TEAM:Taylor, Lawrence, Bates, Brown, Cousins, Ryan, (sub 93 Emblen), Simpson, Carroll, Holsgrove (sub 87 Beeton), Devine (sub 74 Baird), McSporran subs not used Harkin and Rogers Att:13,723

Back To Top
All match reports © 1999 Chairboys on the Net - Not to be reproduced without our permission.
Unless stated Wycombe Wanderers pictures are with kind permission of Paul Dennis (LRPS)
For copies or further information he can be contacted on (+44)(0)1622-735143

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet