Matchday Essentials Click here for the report index for current season
Lincoln City - Click here for Quick Guide to The Imps Lincoln City 1 Click here for your Rough Guide to Wycombe Wanderers
Wycombe Wanderers 2
Saturday 22nd October 2005
Football League 'League Two'
Wycombe players celebrate after the final whistle at Sincil BankMike Williamson scored twice as Wanderers went back to the top of 'League Two' with a stoppage time victory at Lincoln City. After a drab first half with few chances for either side it was the visitors who took the lead on 52 minutes when Roger Johnson mis-cued a cross from the right and Marvin Johnson converted at the far post. Victory looked extremely unlikely for Wycombe at that point but within seconds of Charlie Griffin replacing Matt Bloomfield, Stefan Oakes' free kick from the left was met by the head of Williamson who then saw Imps 'keeper Alan Marriott misjudge the flight of the ball which looped into the back of the net for the equaliser. It was in the second minute of stoppage time that a similar ball was met again by the head of Williamson as City 'keeper Marriott failed to collect. This time the ball was fell to the ground where Williamson reacted first to turn and hook the ball home and despite claims for a foul on the goalkeeper, the goal stood and Wanderers continued their 100% record in the Football League at Sincil Bank.
The victory came after John Gorman had been forced to make a couple of changes to his preferred starting XI. Frank Talia returned in goal after loannee 'keeper Andrew Lonergan had been forced to return to Preston following a training ground injury the previous Thursday. In midfield Kevin Betsy was absent having suffered a hamstring injury in the midweek LDV tie with Dagenham - Rob Lee took his place.
Wanderers' experienced midfield dominated possession during the first half but clear goal scoring chances were minimal. Tyson shot high of the target on five minutes, while Oakes's shot on 20 minutes never had enough on it beat Marriott. At the other end Richard Butcher's low shot was saved by Talia on the 30 minute mark while Nat Brown and Derek Asamoah both missed the target after Wycombe struggled to deal with City's high ball delivery in the penalty area. Probably the best chance of the half came three minutes before the break when Tyson was left in space to the left of the goal but the shot was sliced wide of the upright. Seconds before the break there was the first point of controversey of the day when Talia went down on his goal line following a challenge by Marvin Robinson. The Wycombe 'keeper needed stitches in his mouth at the interval with claims of an elbow being aimed at the City striker. Russell Martin replaced an injured Clint Easton after the break, with the latter seemingly struggling with a leg injury.
City's goal on 52 minutes was a horror show from the Wycombe point of view. Asamoah's low cross from the right seemed to be a routine clearance for Johnson but the Wanderers' Captain air kicked the ball and in came Marvin Robinson at the far post to bundle the ball home.
The game could have slipped away from Wycombe at this point. Sergio Torres replaced Lee on 57 minutes as Wycombe attempted a more attacking style but it was the home side who looked the more likely to score. Scott Kerr saw a shot from the edge of the box deflected over on 58 minutes, while seven minites later Butcher curled an effort just wide of the right hand post.
Charlie Griffin was introduced for his Football League debut for Wycombe on 68 minutes but had not even touched the ball before seeing Wycombe equalise. The goal came after Oakes delivered a free kick from the left side of midfield. Williamson rose around the penalty spot mark and then watched in delight as the ball looped into the goal with 'keeper Marriott looking on with embarrassment.
Two goal hero Mike Williamson celebrates with Danny Senda at Sincil BankWycombe may have been grateful for a point at this stage but there was more to come as John Gorman's side dominated the closing stages. Tyson, now playing wide left, cut in on 83 minutes but his low angled shot was blocked. Then on 89 minutes a break from midfield ended with Tommy Mooney laying the ball off to Griffin but the former Forest Green player sliced his shot wide of the right hand post. With four minutes of stoppage time indicated Wycombe continued to press and got their reward in the second of those minutes when Tyson's whipped cross from the left saw Williamson and Griffin go up for the ball at the far post along with Marriott. Williamson just got the vital touch as Marriott flapped and when the ball grounded it was Williamson who swivelled to lash the ball home and spark celebrations in front of the travelling fans.
Final Score - Lincoln City 1 Wycombe 2
Speaking to BBC Three Counties Radio after the game, John Gorman was declared it a 'great' result having seen his side come from a goal down. He commented "That's better than Grimsby for me because it wasn't meant to be our day today but we have still done it. So many things went wrong. 1-0 down, rubbish goal but the lads just showed fantastic character. We didn't deserve to lose the game today and it could have been the end of the run. But it's not and it's the beginning of another run."
Meanwhile, Imps boss Keith Alexander commented on his side's continuing poor run of results, saying "We battled well enough and certainly deserved a point but with the way it's going for us at the moment, that is what's happening." Alexander claimed his side contained Tyson and Mooney as well as any side so far this season and added "We got the goal and obviously let two poor ones in."
Wycombe had the better of the opening exchanges before City changed tactics. John Gorman commented on this, saying "What they decided to do was that as we started off so well that they decided to match us. We played three up front and three in midfield and they decided to match us and credit to them for doing that and they gave us more problems than some teams have. I didn't think they played too direct today. They played some direct balls but they passed it better than I have seen in the past." The Wycombe boss concluded, "These are the days that win you Championship's. It's not the games where you win 4-0 it's the games like today where you are gritty and get through it and get the result."
Wycombe: Talia, Senda, Easton (sub HT Martin), Johnson, Williamson, Burnell, Oakes, Bloomfield (sub 68 Griffin), Lee (sub 57 Torres), Mooney, Tyson - subs not used: Stonebridge, Williams
Bookings: Senda (foul 63)
Scorers: Williamson (68, 92)
Lincoln City: Marriott, Cryan, McAuley, Morgan, Beevers, Kerr (sub 86 Bloomer), Butcher, Keates, Brown, Asamoah, Marvin Robinson (sub 82 Molango) - subs not used: Steve Robinson, Ryan, Foster
Bookings: Butcher (foul 1), McAuley (foul 64), Keates (dissent 78), Beevers (foul 85)
Scorers: Marvin Robinson (52)
Referee: Mr G Hegley Attendance: 4,347 (away section 378)
Interactive Stats
Match and players
All the Wycombe results, scorers, team line-ups and statistical breakdown of the current season - FULLY INTERACTIVE to your heart's content.
Latest Table and form Updated table with results archive of ALL Division Two games plus form guide and previous meeting between ALL clubs for the past four seasons.
Squad Info
Quick Links
Chairboys on the Net - click here to reload from the top
Match Report Archive.
Current season plus all matches back to July 1996 >>>
Visit The Gas Room"Was our reporter at the same game? Have your say!!"
Click here for Quick Guide Quick Guide to The Imps
Past meetings, connections, web links and more
Click here other results on this dayOn This Day
More Wycombe results from 22nd October
All match reports © 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999,2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 Chairboys on the Net ( - Not to be reproduced without our written permission.

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet