Matchday Essentials 2002-2003 Click here for the latest match previews and reports
Click here for Quick Guide Barnsley 1 Click here for your Rough Guide to Wycombe Wanderers
Wycombe Wanderers 1
Saturday 26th October 2002
Football League Division Two
Keith Ryan
Keith Ryan - Sweetly struck volley earned Wanderers a point at Oakwell
Wanderers came from behind to earn a draw at trouble torn Barnsley. This game had been seen as three points there for the taking for Wycombe with the Yorkshire club in administration and without a manager. However, the home side had the majority of the play in the first half and took the lead on 33 minutes when a Rory Fallon header from a Bruce Dyer cross was adjudged to have crossed the line by the match officials. Wanderers drew level a minute before the break when a sweetly struck volley by Keith Ryan following a right wing corner from Michael Simpson crashed into the op corner of the net.
The home side continued to create the better chances after the break and Frank Talia performed well again in goal after retaining his place ahead of Martin Taylor. Lawrie Sanchez had been faced with a selection dilemma following the midweek victory at Torquay where Sean Devine grabbed a hat-trick and Frank Talia produced some wonder saves in goal. Devine also retained his place in the starting line-up but 'old boys' Paul McCarthy, Keith Ryan, Steve Brown and former Tyke Andy Rammell were recalled ahead of Mark Rogers, Lewis Cook, Darren Currie and Craig Faulconbridge.
Wanderers were on the back foot from the start with Dyer's cross in the opening minute almost finding Fallon. However, playing their firat ever senior game against Barnsley, Wanderers survived and Devine went close on 6 minutes but he could only find the side netting after claims for a trip on Brown had been waved away.
On 15 minutes Paul McCarthy did well to block a close range effort from the impressive Kevin Betsy as the home side looked the more likely to break deadlock. Talia shut out Dyer moments later before Michael Simpson wasted a good chance on 21 minutes - shooting wide after seemingly doing the hard work in taking the ball around home 'keeper Andy Marriott.
Talia was called into action again on 23 minutes when he got two hands to a left foot effort from Paul Gibbs and the Aussie was grateful for some poor control from Betsy on 31 minutes after Dyer had delivered another cross from the right wing.
However, Wanderers were a goal down two minutes later when Dyer crossed again from the right and Fallon headed in at the far post. Talia looked to have kept the ball out in what would have been another brilliant stop but the Assistant Linesman saw it fit to give the goal much to the anger of Talia.
Wycombe may have been grateful to go into the break just a goal down but drew level with an amazing strike from Ryan - the Wanderers stalwart volleying home from around the penalty spot from Simpson's corner to delight the travelling contingent behind the goal.
Half-time 1-1
With everything to play for it was the home side who chased the game and the Wanderers defenders who had to dig in while Talia again performed some minor miracles to keep the scores level. Andy Rammell was substituted around the hour mark to warm applause from the locals and Lawrie sanchez made further changes swopping Devine for Richard Harris and then Brown for Mark Rogers as he converted to a central back three and two wing-backs.
Fallon and Betsy were denied by Talia saves and Andy Thomson was forced into a clearing header as Wanderers soaked up the home pressure. Dyer had a golden opportunity on 72 minutes to restore Barnsley's lead but he shanked his volley after Betsy had crossed from the right.
A rare opening for Wycombe on 77 minutes saw Ryan head over from a Harris long throw before Talia produced the save of the game with just three minutes left on the clock - this time blocking out Dyer's effort to leave the locals shaking their heads. Wanderers had a great opening from the resulting break but Senda failed to spot Bulman in the centre and Barnsley's frustraion would have been made worse in the third minute of stoppage time if Faulconbridge had converted Ryan's cross - the former Wrexham man heading wide of the target.
Final Score Barnsley 1 Wycombe 1
Wycombe: Talia, Senda, Thomson, McCarthy, Vinnicombe, Ryan, Simpson, Brown (sub 79 Rogers), Bulman, Devine (sub 74 Harris), Rammell (sub 58 Faulconbridge) subs not used: Currie, Cook
Yellow Cards: McCarthy (foul 71), Thomson (foul 77)
Barnsley: Marriott, Mulligan, Morgan, O'Callaghan, Gibbs, Betsy, Lumsdon, Gary Jones (sub HT Neil), Bertos (sub 57 Gorre), Dyer, Fallon (sub 78 Sheron) subs not used: Ghent, Austin
Yellow Cards: Morgan (foul 19)
Referee: George Cain (Bootle) Attendance: 10,044 (330 Wycombe)
Interactive Stats
Match and players
All the Wycombe results, scorers, team line-ups and statistical breakdown of the current season - FULLY INTERACTIVE to your heart's content.
Latest Table and form Updated table with results archive of ALL Division Two games plus form guide and previous meeting between ALL clubs for the past four seasons.
Squad Info
Quick Links

Chairboys on the Net - click here to reload from the top
Match Report Archive.
Current season plus all matches back to July 1996 >>>
Click here for Quick Guide Quick Guide to The Tykes
Past meetings, connections, web links and more
Visit The Gas Room"Was our reporter at the same game? Have your say!!"
Click here other results on this dayOn This Day
More Wycombe results from 26th October
All match reports © 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999,2000, 2001, 2002
Chairboys on the Net - Not to be reproduced without our written permission.

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet