Wycombe Wanderers Match reports brought to you by Chairboys on the Net Chairboys Match Facts
brought to you by
Chairboys on the Net
Click here for the latest match previews and reports 
Wycombe's favourite fanzine is back online with Chairboys on the Net
On-line fanzine
Colchester United - click here for Quick Guide to Col U Colchester United 0 Wycombe Wanderers - click here for your Rough Guide to The Chairboys
Wycombe Wanderers 0
Saturday 25th November
Nationwide Football League Division Two
Matin Taylor - more heroics - picture Paul DennisIt was goalless at Layer Road on Saturday in a mainly dour encounter with old rivals Colchester. In atrocious conditions Wycombe had to rely on more outstanding goalkeeping from Martin Taylor to keep the home side at bay. New loan signing Sam Parkin made his Wycombe debut when he replaced triallist Niall Thompson on the hour mark and the 19 year old looked to have won a penalty when he was hauled down by home 'keeper Andy Woodman. There were heated exchanges in the 78th minute when substitute Tony Lock clattered Alan Beeton into the advertising boards. Jamie Bates immediately led the charge to advise referee Furnandiz where to send Lock and the ensuing mass brawl of players, stewards and match officials ended with Lock sent down the tunnel. The rest of those involved were lucky to escape punishment from the referee and with Bates just one yellow card away from a one match ban, a booking then would have been a double disaster for Wycombe. Elsewhere in the match Michael Simpson proved yet again that he can't keep his mouth shut after he talked himself into the book for his fifth yellow of the season and he will miss the FA Cup game at Millwall.
On a more positive note the return of Dannie Bulman gave Wycombe a little more bite in midfield and loanee Sam Parkin, although taking a few minutes to get his first touch, looked extremely dangerous breaking in from the left side. Niall Thompson completed his month trial at the game at Layer Road but Lawrie Sanchez has since extended the trial for another month. Steve Brown was missing from the squad after picking up a slight calf strain in training on Friday.

With swirling wind and torrential rain making playing conditions extremely difficult the first-half was a fairly even affair but one that lacked the normal passion of a Colchester/Wycombe clash. Just to prove the point it was 16 minutes before referee Furnandiz awarded the first free-kick and that was for a handball against Jamie Bates. York loan signing Barry Conlan headed wide from the resulting free-kick. Earlier in the game Jermaine McSporran, returning in place of Mo Harkin, saw a overhead kick saved by Woodman in the United goal after Keith Ryan had knocked on Mark Rogers throw-in from the right side.
Wycombe should have taken the lead on 30 minutes when McSporran's pace took him to the right bye-line but when the ball was delivered to the near post, Andy Rammell could only slide the ball wide of the target.
With the rain getting even heavier United had their best chance of the afternoon. It came in the 36th minute with a break down the right channel. Wycombe only half cleared their lines from Mick Stockwell's cross and when the ball fell to ex-Wanderer Steve McGavin just 12 yards out, it was left for Martin Taylor to stun the home fans with a brilliant one-handed tip around his left-hand post.
Half-time 0-0
Thompson and McSporran combined down the left wing six minutes into the second-half but the ball got tied up under the Canadian's feet as he saw sight of goal. It proved to be the triallist's last significant contribution to the game as he began to struggle on the slippy surface.
Mistakes were always likely to gift a side a chance and that nearly came in the 52nd minute. Karl Duguid's toe poke seeing Taylor slip and then thankfully recover to push the wide of his left-hand post.
The home side seemed to adapt far better to the conditions than Wycombe and despite kicking against the wind created the better chances in the second-half. The best of these came in the 58th minute when McGavin pushed the ball right to Stockwell who beat Alan Beeton with ease before being denied by another stunning tip over by Taylor in front of the healthy contingent of Wanderers' fans.
The introduction of Parkin for Thompson gave Wycombe a new lease of life. Within a minute Simpson should have done better with his finish after nipping through from midfield but there was controversy in the 68th minute. Parkin worked the ball across from the left and when Rammell's shot was deflected to Parkin just six yards from goal, Woodman appeared to take the legs from the 19 year old after a poor first touch from the loanee.
The home fans were booing in the 70th minute when McGavin was replaced by Tony Lock. Those jeers nearly turned to cheers three minutes later when Lock's deflected shot had Taylor scrambling to save. At the other end Parkin saw a powerful shot drift just a yard wide of the target before Lock launched himself into Beeton. With Lock sent down the tunnel and order finally restored amongst the remaining players neither side appeared too interested in going for a victory as the game ended goalless.
Wycombe drop one place in the table to 7th after their fourth 0-0 of the season. FA Cup opponents Millwall took advantage of Wigan's draw at Bristol City to go top by beating Oldham 1-0 at Boundary Park.
Full-time Colchester 0 Wycombe 0
Wycombe: Taylor, Rogers, Beeton, Cousins, Bates, Simpson, Ryan, Bulman, Thompson (sub 60 Parkin), McSporran, Rammell
subs not used: Townsend, Harkin, Castledine, Lee
Yellow Cards: Simpson (32 dissent), Rogers (80 dissent)
Colchester: Woodman, Dunne, White, Fitzgerald, Skelton, Gregory, Stockwell, Keeble, Conlon, McGavin (sub 70 Lock), Duguid 
subs not used: Brown, Keith, Tanner, Morgan
Yellow Cards: Fitzgerald (37 foul), White (77 foul)
Red Card: Lock (78 foul)
Referee: R Furnandiz (S Yorks) Att: 3,646 (Wycombe 635)
Chairboys Stat File
25th Nov 2000

Division Two
Goals For
Goals Against 15

Top Scorers (League)
Andy Rammell 6
Steve Brown
Andy Baird 3
Jamie Bates 3
Jermaine McSporran 2
Dannie Bulman 1

Paul McCarthy 1
Michael Simpson 1
Previous Games
Sat 18th Nov 2000
FA Cup First Round
Wycombe 3
Harrow 0

Sat 11th Nov 2000
Division Two
Wycombe 2
Bury 1

Sat 4th Nov 2000
Division Two
Swindon 1
Wycombe 1
Chairboys on the Net - click here to reload from the top
Match Report Archive
(over 200 reports!)
2000/2001 - current season

- This time it was easy

1998/1999 - The ultimate survival battle ending at Lincoln

1997/1998 - Wanderers survive again

1996/1997 - Another survival battle

Colchester United - click here for Quick Guide to Col UQuick Guide to The U's, previous meetings, player connections, web links and more
Visit The Gas Room"Was our reporter at the same game? Have your say!!"
Click here other results on this dayOn This Day
More Wycombe results from 25th November

All match reports © 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999,2000 Chairboys on the Net - Not to be reproduced without our written permission.

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet