Yeovil Town 0
Wycombe Wanderers 1
Tuesday 24th November 2015
Football League Two

A Luke O'Nein strike on 70 minutes was enough for Wanderers to record their first ever League victory at Yeovil Town in ten attempts and in the process send The Glovers to the foot of the table.

An unchanged Wycombe line-up to the one that had surrendered victory at Wimbledon at the weekend, dominated for long periods in the game against a Yeovil side that clearly lacked confidence. A mis-kick in midfield from the Yeovil defence on 17 minutes from a Wycombe through ball let in Garry Thompson just to the left of goal but Yeovil 'keeper Chris Weale stuck out a leg as Thompson tried to curl the ball right footed inside the right hand upright. A minute later a Paul Hayes corner from the left saw Thompson go close again - this time a header at the far post being nodded off the line by the Yeovil back-line, then Sam Wood firing wide of the left hand post from the resulting clearance.

A slick move from Wanderers down the left flank on 20 minutes involving Sido Jombati, Wood and Thompson, culminated in O'Nein dribbling the ball into the left side of the Yeovil box but then going down under the challenge of Weale as he was about the pull the trigger. The penalty appeals were waved away and the home players made their feelings known by charging O'Nein to the ground - Yeovil's former Northampton Town defender Ben Tozer being booked for his protests. It was a borderline decision but penalties have been given for similar challenges but referee Deadman was some distance away.

At the other end Matt Ingram was virtually a spectator until the 36th minute when tipped over in style at the far post from a Ryan Bird volley following a right wing delivery from Yeovil's recent signing Francois Zoko - the 32 year old former Carlisle, Notts County, Stevenage and Blackpool striker had got the better of Aaron Pierre before sending in a cross to the far corner of the six yard box only to see Ingram save and keep the game goalless.

But Wanderers still looked the side more likely to score and Thompson had another wonderful chance just before the half-time whistle when Hayes worked the ball in from the right to Wood, who laid the ball off to Thompson as he ran in from around 15 yards but he was denied again by the fast reactions of Weale.

The second-half was a more even affair, albeit with less scoring opportunities. Within a minute of the re-start Harry Cornick tried his luck from 20 yard but Ingram gathered comfortably. Two minutes later Pierre picked up a yellow card for a trip on Zoko a yard outside the box but the home side failed to take advantage of the deadball.

Wycombe started to press again when Pierre headed wide of the near post from a left wing corner from Hayes on 62 minutes. The winning strike came from another cultured move from Wanderers down the left wing - Jomabti, Wood, then Matt Bloomfield playing in substitute Aaron Amadi-Holloway who weaved past his defenders before laying the ball off to O'Nein whose shot from 20 yards curled into the top right corner of the net to delight the the travelling Wycombe contingent alongside at Huish Park.

Wycombe had to contend with some late pressure from the Somerset side - Pierre being forced to clear off the line on 90 minutes but Wanderers were well worth their three points and are now 9th in the table - just a point off the play-off places and four points behind 4th placed Portsmouth who are Wycombe's next opponents when they visit Adams Park on Saturday 28th November.

Full-time - Yeovil 0 Wycombe 1
Wycombe: Ingram, McCarthy, Stewart, Pierre, Jombati, Harriman, Bloomfield, OíNien, Wood, Thompson (sub 59 Amadi-Holloway), Hayes (sub 72 Kretzschmar) - subs not used: Richardson; Banton, Sellers, Rowe
Scorers: O'Nein 70
Bookings: Pierre 49, O'Nein 93
The bookings for Pierre and O'Nein in the game with Yeovil took them on to four yellow cards for the season. The cut-off date for suspensions for five yellow cards is Monday 30th November 2015 - therefore, along with Michael Harriman (already on four yellow cards), they will each need to avoid a booking in the match with Portsmouth on 28th November to prevent an automatic one match suspension.
Yeovil: Weale, Roberts, Ward, Lacey, Smith, Fogden, Tozer, Dolan (sub 59 Dickson), Cornick, Zoko (sub 74 Thomas), Bird (sub 77 Jeffers) - subs not used: Krysiak, Sokolik, Beck, Sheehan
Scorers: none
Bookings: Tozer 20, Smith 63
Referee: Mr Darren Deadman Attendance: 2,963 (away 154)

Gareth AinsworthSpeaking after the game, Wanderers Manager Gareth Ainsworth told the press: "Three points away from home on a Tuesday night is three points away from home on a Tuesday night and Iíll take that any day. We made hard work of it. I thought we dominated the first half and had a lot of chances and one on ones. When you donít put them away you start to think it is not going to be your day. It took a piece of magic from Luke OíNien to win the game and we were a bit nervy in closing the game out." The Wycombe boss added: "The keeper was outstanding for Yeovil first half, he's kept them right in the game. It was going to take something special, some of the legs were tiring from Saturday and a wonder-strike has made it a complete team performance. It could have been more convincing but I'll take a 1-0. What we did is we started the game like we finished at Wimbledon, not giving them a chance and pressing really high and getting the ball forward quick. A special mention for the back five, they were fantastic and have the best defensive record in League Two." [Wanderers have conceeded 14 League goals to date in League Two - the next best is leaders Plymouth on 15].

All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet