Matchday Essentials 2001-2002 Click here for the latest match previews and reports
Click here for your Rough Guide to Wycombe Wanderers Wycombe Wanderers 2 Click here for Quick Guide
Tranmere Rovers 1
Monday 1st April 2002
Football League Division Two
Andy Rammell - on target against Tranmere An Andy Rammell header on 29 minutes and a Steve Brown penalty in the 50th minute set Wycombe on their way to a 2-1 victory over Tranmere Rovers at Adams Park on Easter Monday. A Simon Haworth header on 61 minutes gave the visitors hope but Wycombe were good value for their victory.
New signing Richard Harris earned a start against Tranmere after impressing Lawrie Sanchez with his lively debut as substitute in the 2-1 defeat at Peteborough. Harris was one of two changes to the starting line-up that had lost to Barry Fry's side; the other being a start for Gavin Holligan as Lawrie Sanchez rested Steve Brown and Sean Devine. Harris was later replaced by Brown after the former Crystal Palace player picked up a hamstring injury. Brown then scored from the spot after Rammell had been fouled just inside the Tranmere penalty area by Clint Hill.
With Wanderers going for a three pronged attack from the start it made for an open game. However, it was the visitors who had the early chances. On 8 minutes Martin Taylor was grateful to see Stuart Barlow straight at him from the Rovers right as Wycombe's defence was pierced. Two minutes later Mark Rogers out in a timely tackle to block Andy Parkinson's shot.
Wanderers best efforts came as a result of two or three fierce long throw-ins from the left wing by Richard Harris but Rovers 'keeper John Achterberg was well protected by his defenders.
It was Harris's efforts down the right wing that led to Wycombe opening the scoring in the 29th minute. The former Palace player was knocked off the ball and from the resulting free-kick from Currie it was Rammell who rose to direct home his header inside the far post.
Martin Taylor was called on again to save from Sean Thornton and Alan Navarro before the half closed and there was a set-back for Wycombe when Harris was forced off with a hamstring injury.
Half-time Wycombe 1 Tranmere 0
Wycombe were given further breathing space five minutes into the second-half when Clint Hill was adjudged to have fouled Andy Rammell as the Wycombe player closed in on goal from the right flank. Referee Paul Alcock took advice from his Assistant before pointing to the spot and after the Rovers protests, Brown side footed the ball past Achterberg with ease.
Steve Brown converts his penalty against Tranmere It all looked fairly easy at this point but Tranmere were given hope when following a thown-in from the left Gareth Roberts crossed and Simon Haworth, a regular scorer on his previous visits to Adams Park with Wigan, headed home at the near post.
The goal caused a nervous spell for Wycombe where Rogers and McCarthy were kept busy clearing their lines and also pleased to see Gareth Roberts sky an effort high into the away end from a good position.
Gavin Holligan - never gave up running against TranmereAt the other end Rogers stabbed an effort wide after Simpson had delivered a free-kick from the right following a foul on Keith Ryan in the 70th minute. Ten minutes later Dannie Bulman couldn't believe his bad luck when he saw a shot from the left corner of the six yard box saved by Achterberg at the near post after Rammell had laid the ball off.
A minute later Taylor pulled off a brilliant close range block to prevent substitute Iain Hume from levelling the scores and with it Wycombe had done enough to gain three welcome points.
Final Score Wycombe 2 Tranmere 1
Wycombe: Taylor, Senda, McCarthy, Rogers, Townsend, Simpson, Bulman, Currie (sub 67 Ryan), Harris (sub 39 Brown), Rammell, Holligan (sub 86 Roberts) - subs not used: Cousins, Devine
Yellow Cards: Holligan (foul 8), Rammell (dissent 73), Bulman (foul 84)
Tranmere: Achterberg, Hinds, Hill, Sharps, Roberts, Parkinson, Navarro, Thornton, Price (sub 58 Hume), Haworth, Barlow - subs not used: Murphy, Yates, Rideout, Henry
Yellow Cards: Thornton (foul 69), Navarro (foul 70), Hill (foul 89)
Red Card: Achterberg (foul and abusive language - after final whistle)
Referee: P Alcock (Halstead) Att: 6297 (Tranmere 330)
Interactive Stats
Match and players
All the Wycombe results, scorers, team line-ups and statistical breakdown of the current season - FULLY INTERACTIVE to your heart's content.
Latest Table and form Updated table with results archive of ALL Division Two games plus form guide and previous meeting between ALL clubs for the past four seasons.
Squad Info
Quick Links

Chairboys on the Net - click here to reload from the top
Match Report Archive.
Current season plus all matches back to July 1996 >>>
Click here for Quick Guide Quick Guide to The Posh
Past meetings, connections, web links and more
Visit The Gas Room"Was our reporter at the same game? Have your say!!"
Click here other results on this dayOn This Day
More Wycombe results from 1st April
All match reports © 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002
Chairboys on the Net - Not to be reproduced without our written permission.

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet