Matchday Essentials 2001-2002 Click here for the latest match previews and reports
Click here for Quick Guide Tranmere Rovers 1 Click here for your Rough Guide to Wycombe Wanderers
Wycombe Wanderers 1
Saturday 3rd November 2001
Football League Division Two
Richard Walker says farewell? Wycombe extended their unbeaten run in the League to nine games with a 1-1 draw at Prenton Park on Saturday but had to play the final seventeen minutes with ten men after Steve Brown was sent off for violent conduct. The home side took the lead in the 13th minute when Nick Henry's cross from the left was scuffed past Martin Taylor at the far post by Sean Flynn. However, Wycombe were level within three minutes after Richard Walker had battled well before pushing the ball right via Andy Rammell to Darren Currie who beat Joe Murphy in the home goal with a delicate chip.
Wycombe were without the suspended Michael Simpson for the first ever meeting between the two sides and as expected Dannie Bulman slotted into the vacant midfield role. Darren Currie and Stuart Roberts were sent down the wings as providers for Richard Walker and Andy Rammell. Jermaine McSporran missed out after recovering too late from his ankle injury.
Both sides had chances to take all three points but after Brown was sent-off Wycombe had to dig and settle for a point. Brown, who had been booked earlier in the game, was shown a straight red card for kicking out at Steve Yates after the two players had clashed. Brown now faces a three match ban starting with the home game against his former club, Northampton Town, on Tuesday 20th November.
A highly paced game almost began with a goal within the opening 90 seconds. Rovers skilful left winger Jason Koumas got clear of Danny Senda and the youngsters probing cross smacked against Martin Taylor's far post before Taylor was grateful to collect Stuart Barlow's follow up.
Wanderers responded in the sixth minute when Currie's back flick put in Walker who then laid the ball off to Brown but the shot ended in Rovers massive home end. Wycombe continued to look dangerous and when Currie sent over a free-kick from the left in the 12th minute Stuart Roberts was unlucky to see his shot blocked.
However, Rovers broke from that attack to open the scoring. Senda was skinned again down the Tranmere left and although Flynn didn't make a perfect connection with Henry's cross it was enough to beat Taylor.
Wycombe are used to being behind and the home side were given just three minutes to savour their lead. Walker, out to impress on the last game of his current loan spell, shock off a couple of challenges before passing to Rammell who then set up Currie with a chance they he took with perfection.
The goal subdued the home fans and backed by a vociferous away support, Wycombe gave Rovers plenty to think about but without really testing home 'keeper. Joe Murphy. Wanderers best effort came in the 36th minute when Roberts got clear on the left before cutting inside and zipping across a ball that was just to far from a Wycombe boot.
Half-time 1-1
Kicking towards their own fans in the second-half, Rovers were a more difficult proposition. However, they had to make do without their infamous Birkenhead multi-ball system where ball-boys dry and return another matchball after one has gone out of play. On at least two occasions there was more than one ball on the pitch and match referee John Brandwood called a halt to the farce on 53 minutes after Wycombe had told the official to keep an eye on it.
The real action contined in the 57th minute when Koumas fired just wide of Taylor's far post but a booking for the Rovers player a minute later seemed to damp down his spirit. Wycombe's best chance of the half followed shortly afterwards, Currie beating his man down the right wing before delivering a ball to the near post that Rammell met on the volley only to see Murphy save.
Iain Hume just failed to connect with another Koumas cross from the left on 65 minutes before Sanchez decided to batton down the hatches and send on Jason Cousins for Senda and later introduce Dave Carroll for Roberts.
Brown's red card minutes later for his kick out at Yates gave the home side the advantage in the dying minutes but only a scary moment in the 74th minute when Taylor spilled a low shot on the slippery surface gave Wycombe further problems. Keith Ryan, Chris Vinnicombe and Walker were all booked for Wycombe in the final eight minutes as the game ended on a scrappy note.
Final Score Tranmere 1 Wycombe 1
Wycombe: : Taylor, Senda (sub 66 Cousins), Rogers, Vinnicombe, McCarthy, Bulman, Currie. Brown, Roberts (sub 70 Carroll), Rammell (sub 77 Ryan), Walker
subs not used: Holligan, Emblen
Yellow Cards: Brown (foul 54), Ryan (foul 82), Vinnicombe (foul 88), Walker (foul 90)
Red Cards: Brown (violent conduct 73)
Tranmere:Murphy, Yates, Allen, Sharps (sub 86 Allison), Roberts, Flynn, Henry, Mellon (sub 73 Parkinson), Koumas, Barlow (sub 60 Hume), Rideout
subs not used: Hill, Achterberg
Yellow Cards: Koumas (foul 58)
Referee:Mr MJ Brandwood (Lichfield) Attendance: 8,096 (Wycombe 488)
Interactive Stats
Match and players
All the Wycombe results, scorers, team line-ups and statistical breakdown of the current season - FULLY INTERACTIVE to your heart's content.
Latest Table and form Updated table with results archive of ALL Division Two games plus form guide and previous meeting between ALL clubs for the past four seasons.
Squad Info
Quick Links

Chairboys on the Net - click here to reload from the top
Match Report Archive.
Current season plus all matches back to July 1996 >>>
Click here for Quick Guide Quick Guide to Tranmere
Past meetings, connections, web links and more
Visit The Gas Room"Was our reporter at the same game? Have your say!!"
Click here other results on this dayOn This Day
More Wycombe results from 3rd November
All match reports © 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999,2000, 2001
Chairboys on the Net - Not to be reproduced without our written permission.

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet