Matchday Essentials 2001-2002 Click here for the latest match previews and reports
Click here for your Rough Guide to Wycombe Wanderers Wycombe Wanderers 1 Click here for Quick Guide
Queens Park Rangers 0
Monday 27th August 2001
Football League Division Two
Paul McCarthy - picture Paul DennisA stoppage time goal from Paul McCarthy gave Wycombe a satisfying 1-0 victory over Queens Park Rangers on Bank Holiday Monday at Adams Park. It was the first ever senior League meeting between Wycombe and Rangers and attracted a record League gate to Adams Park of 9,217.
In a fairly even game, the winning goal came after a hectic period of action in the QPR penalty area. First there were strong claims for a penalty following what looked like a blantant handball against Aziz Ben Askar. Then before the fuss had a chance to die down, Currie had delivered the corner, McSporran dinked the ball back in, Keith Ryan forced it back under pressure from the 'keeper, Simo stuck in in again before 'Macca' was there to scuff the ball home from around 10 yards.
After the previous Saturday's 2-2 draw at Blackpool, Lawrie Sanchez made two changes to his starting line-up. Andy Rammell returned in the forward line after his stomach bug while Paul Emblen was favoured ahead of Jermaine McSporran. Keith Ryan was the other player relegated to the bench but both 'Rhino' and 'Jocky' proved to be influential after coming on as second-half substitutes.
Just like the home game with Wrexham, Wycombe came out all guns blazing but The Rangers defence were quick to get people behind the ball. In the fourth minute Darren Currie's free-kick from the left was bravely headed by Paul McCarthy and it was Currie who carved out more openings on a blistering afternoon at Adams Park.
Currie saw an angled shot from the right blocked in the 19th minute before Michael Simpson's follow up was saved by Chris Day in the R's goal. Andy Rammell also went close with a half-volley from 15 yards after Simpson had squared.
A poor clearance by Day in the 29th minute gave Wycombe their best chance to open the scoring but Currie couldn't quite work the ball in from a narrow angle on the right despite two attempts at shooting.
That chance signalled Rangers best spell of the game. First Doudou Ebeli M'Bombo dragged a 31st minute effort wide of Martin Taylor's right hand upright and two minutes later Alex Bonnet saw his shot from a similar position deflected into the side netting.
Simpson fired over four minutes before the break after Rammell had knocked down Emblen's cross from the right for Bulman.
Half-time 0-0
It took a acrobatic save by Martin Taylor in the 51st minute to keep Kark Connolly's free-kick from breaking the deadlock but it was the visitors last real serious effort on goal. On the hour mark Bulman looked to have been charged off the ball by R's Captain Steve Palmer but referee Dermot Gallagher wasn't in the slighest bit interested.
Sanchez gambled on a double substitution in the 64th minute when he brought on Ryan and McSporran. Wycombe also reverted to a more 'route 1' approach but it eventually paid off.
The sub combination combined brilliantly in the 69th minute when Ryan's through ball header set up McSporran but he volleyed wide. Then with eight minutes left on the clock Simpson fed through to McSporran just left of goal but Day managed to push the effort wide for the first of four corners to Wycombe in the closing minutes.
Urged on by the packed house, Wycombe continued to press. Currie saw a powerful volley saved in the 88th minute following Cousins' free-kick before the grand finale. Claims for handball on Askar fell on deaf ears as the game entered stoppage but when Currie's corner from the right eventually fell to 'Macca', Wycombe got their reward for their never say die attitude.
Full time Wycombe 1 QPR 0
Wycombe: Taylor, Cousins, Vinnicombe, McCarthy, Rogers, Simpson, Brown (sub 73 Senda), Bulman, Currie, Emblen (sub 64 McSporran), Rammell (sub 64 Ryan)
subs not used: Phelan, Marsh
Yellow Cards: Vinnicombe (foul 50)
QPR: Day, Forbes, Askar, Palmer, Bignot, Ebeli M'Bombo, Perry, Bonnet, Connolly (sub 81 Warren), Thomson, McEwen (sub 73 Pacquette)
subs not used: Bull, Wardley, Barr
Yellow Cards: none
Referee: Dermot Gallagher Attendance: 9,217 (2,036 QPR)
Chairboys Info
Interactive Stats
Match and players

Latest Table and form
Squad Info
Quick Links

Chairboys on the Net - click here to reload from the top
Match Report Archive.
Current season plus all matches back to July 1996 >>>
Click here for Quick Guide Quick Guide to Rangers
Past meetings, connections, web links and more
Visit The Gas Room"Was our reporter at the same game? Have your say!!"
Click here other results on this dayOn This Day
More Wycombe results from 27th August

All match reports © 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999,2000, 2001
Chairboys on the Net - Not to be reproduced without our written permission.

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet