Matchday Essentials 2001-2002 Click here for the latest match previews and reports
Click here for Quick Guide Blackpool 2 Click here for your Rough Guide to Wycombe Wanderers
Wycombe Wanderers 2
Saturday 25th August 2001
Football League Division Two
Darren Currie - off the mark at Bloomfield Road Wycombe's unbeaten run at Bloomfield Road continued on Saturday despite falling behind within the opening fourteen minutes. Wanderers looked all at sea against The Seasiders but after Lawrie Sanchez had shuffled his pack and the home side had gifted Wycombe a 41st minute penalty lifeline, Wycombe were back in it.
It was left for Darren Currie to claim the equalising goal with eight minutes left on the clock but only after yet more outstanding heriocs by Martin Taylor in the Wycombe goal.
Wycombe started the game with two changes from the side that had lost to Bristol Rovers in the Worthington Cup during the week. Jermaine McSporran replaced Paul Emblen while Keith Ryan stood in for Andy Rammell up front after 'Rambo' pulled out of the trip north after complaining of a stomach bug. Jason Cousins was included in the centre of defence after being given the all-clear on the knock to his cheek bone suffered against Bristol Rovers.
Defending the building site end of Bloomfield Road, Wycombe's defence had a nightmare opening fifteen minutes. In the third minute Cousins mis-timed a tackle on Bret Ormerod and the Blackpool dangerman went on to slot the ball past Taylor from just inside the penalty area.
McSporran was booked for a rash challenge on Martin Bullock moments later before Ormerod broke again on the left but Taylor managed to fingertip the effort wide. However, from the resulting corner on the right wing, Paul Simpson swung the ball into the near post which Phil Thompson converted with his head.
The game swung on two first-half incidents. First Sanchez replaced McSporran with Danny Senda it what was assumed to be a tactical change. Jocky spent the remainder of the half sitting alone the bench. The second incident came in the 35th minute when Blackpool Captain Ian Hughes had to leave the pitch injured. His replacement, John Hills, didn't have a good day at the office. Within five minutes he needlessly hacked down Michael Simpson in the Wycombe penalty and Steve Brown, who had seen a 27th minute effort tipped onto the post, made no mistake from the spot.
It was just the slice of luck Wycombe needed and misses by John Murphy and Ormerod during six minutes of first-half stoppage were to eventually prove costly for Steve McMahon's side.
Half-time Blackpool 2 Wycombe 1
Wycombe started to create with far more effect in the second period instigated in the main by more breath taking skills from Darren Currie. Currie's pass to Chris Vinnicombe on the left wing in the 66th minute ended when Vinni's cross was cut out by Phil Barnes in the home goal.
Paul Emblen came on for Steve Brown midway through the half as Wycombe threw more bodies up front. Almost immediately Currie's cross from wide left just missed the head of Paul McCarthy before Senda scuffed the ball wide at the far post.
Currie then saw a 20 yard effort deflected wide before Blackpool had chances to seal the points. In the 71st minute Ormerod had what looked like a simple tap-in in front of the home fans but they were left clutching their heads in disbelief as Martin Taylor some how got a hand to the ball. Then in the 79th minute Seasiders' substitute Jamie Milligan forced another class save from Taylor.
I could bury a currieTwo minutes later Wycombe were level when Ryan got clear down the right and his inviting cross was headed home with pin-point accuracy by Currie. The ex-Barnet man immediately ran towards the mass of Wycombe fans congregated in the touchline terrace, kissing the Wycombe badge in the process. He was immediately burried beneath a combination of fans and players.
With some form of normality finally restored Wycombe went for a win. Young Leeyon Phelan replaced 'Rhino' and he saw a header tipped over on the stroke of full-time although the flag had been raised for offside.
Probably a point gained rather than two points dropped on this occasion and Blackpool will wonder if they will ever beat Wycombe on their own ground.
Final Score Blackpool 2 Wycombe 2
Wycombe: Taylor, Cousins, Vinnicombe, McCarthy, Rogers, Simpson, Brown (sub 67 Emblen), Bulman, Currie, McSporran (sub 22 Senda), Ryan (sub 83 Phelan)
subs not used: Carroll, Marsh
Yellow Cards: McSporran (foul 5)
Blackpool: Barnes, Jaszczun, O'Kane, Hughes (sub 35 Hills), Thompson, Wellens, MacKenzie, J Murphy, Ormerod, Simpson (sub 72 Milligan), Bullock
subs not used: Pullen, Clarkson, Fenton
Yellow Card: O'Kane (shirt pulling 14), Ormerod (shirt pulling 34)
Referee: C Webster Attendance: 5,010 (482 Wycombe)
Chairboys Info
Interactive stats

Latest Table

Squad Info
Quick Links

Chairboys on the Net - click here to reload from the top
Match Report Archive.
Current season plus all matches back to July 1996 >>>
Click here for Quick Guide Quick Guide to The Seasiders
Past meetings, connections, web links and more
Visit The Gas Room"Was our reporter at the same game? Have your say!!"
Click here other results on this dayOn This Day
More Wycombe results from 25th August

All match reports © 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999,2000, 2001
Chairboys on the Net - Not to be reproduced without our written permission.

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet