The Story of The Blues
brought to you by
Swansea City 1
Wycombe Wanderers 2
Saturday 4th November 1995
Football League Division Two

Wanderers came from 1-0 down at Swansea City to snatch victory and move to 4th spot in Division Two.

Wycombe, who had beaten York City the previous Tuesday at Adams Park, took on a Swansea side that included a 17 year old Frank Lampard junior. The youngster had joined The Swans on loan from West Ham the previous month and had already notched his first professional goal in a recent meeting with Brighton. Lampard tested Paul Hyde early on and the Wanderers 'keeper had to be on his best form to keep the game goalless at the break. However, it was the Welsh side who took the lead in the 58th minute when Steve Torpey headed home from a corner and raise the volume amongst the sparse home following.

However, the home contingent were silenced four minutes later when David Farrell's inswinging corner from the right was touched over the line by Simon Garner. The vast majority of the watching media recorded the goal as Farrell's but video evidence confirmed Garner's boot connected with the ball just before it crossed the line.

The winner, that sent the travelling Wycombe fans on the covered away terrace at The Vetch into mass celebration, was an unsual goal too - Garner crossing from the left for Dave Carroll to convert with a rare headed effort as he stooped to direct the ball past Roger Freestone at the near post.

Reporting for the Bucks Free Press, Sharon Walter wrote: 'Goals from the corner spot are becoming a bit of a habit with David Farrell, but on Saturday no one was complaining. A curling cornerkick from Farrell on the far side put Wycombe back into the game against Swansea, after they had gone one down early in the second half.

The victory now puts Wanderers fourth in the table and captain Terry Howard believes it is a win that has given another glimpse into the character of the side. He said: “I think it was the best overall 90 minutes we have had for a while. We are showing that we have got a lot of character, we came back from 2-0 against Hull and we came back from behind here, there is clearly no lack of character in the side.”

Wanderers did well to pull back, but some of the club’s travelling army who made the long trip to Vetch Field, may not agree entirely with the analysis of the game. The first half proved to be a slightly indifferent affair, with Swansea really having the greater chance to go ahead, only the good goalkeeping of Paul Hyde kept them out.

Hyde endured his first real test on 25 minutes when he tipped over the bar a shot from Frank Lampard junior, son of the legendary West Ham defender. Two minutes later he was forced to do the same again when Jon Coates sent Colin Pascoe on his way to put in an excellent shot, which Hyde met with an excellent save.

Swansea certainly looked dangerous, but Wycombe were not without their chances. Simon Garner, a key player in this game, had a fairly wild shot at goal in the 20th minute, his 20 yard drive sailing so high over the crossbar that it hit the roof of the stand. But his efforts must have heartened manager Alan Smith who has expressed a desire to see his players take the initiative when they can around the goal. Garner certainly took the initiative, but not just at goal. The forward produced his full box of tricks on Saturday to lift the side’s performance and in the second half his hustling paid off, although not before City took the lead. The home side, on 58 minutes, did what they had been threatening to do throughout the first half. Top goalscorer, Steve Torpey, who always looked dangerous around goal, rose above a packed penalty area to head home a John Hodge corner.

The Swansea fans, who haven’t had much to cheer about lately were jubilant, but there celebrations were not going to last long. The goal seemed to have the effect of shocking Wanderers into stepping their game up a gear, as their chance of a 13th unbeaten game began to look decidedly shaky. Blues’ fans, however, had to wait just four minutes to see Farrell produce something reminiscent of his Oxford United goal when he walked across to the far- side to take a corner. The shot simply curled into the net, needing no help from a lurking Simon Garner on the line.

Garner was needed though in the 84th minute to set up a superb second goal, which clinched the game for Wycombe. The number ten made an excellent run down the left hand side and, despite pressure from his Swansea marker, put in a pin point cross to the advancing David Carroll, who left Roger Freestone no chance with his diving header.

Miquel Desouza then had several chances, the best of which was a ball through the middle, but he was unable to shake his marker and put in the finishing touch. Minutes later Swansea seemed unfortunate not to be awarded a penalty when Robbie Dennison, was bundled down in the area. Appeals by City players were ignored and Blues went on to clock up their 13th unbeaten game.

The team now have a respite from league matches with their next two games both being cup matches, their first in the Auto Windscreens Shield tonight at Walsall and next Monday their FA Cup first round match against Third Division Gillingham.'

Wycombe: Hyde, Rowbotham, Bell, Howard, Cousins, Brown, Carroll, Williams (sub 77 Patterson), Desouza, Garner (sub 89 McGavin), Farrell. Sub not used: Solomon
Scorers: Garner 62, Carroll 84
Bookings: none
Swansea: Freestone, Barnhouse, Coates (sub 46 Cook), Basham, Edwards, Lampard, Pascoe (sub 46 Hodge), Heggs (sub 77 Thomas), Torpey, Ampadu, Dennison
Scorers: Torpey 58
Bookings: Barnhouse 51 (foul), Basham 55 (foul)
Referee: Mr A.G. Wiley (Walsall) Attendance: 2,809 (away 296)

Speaking after the game Manager Alan Smith said: "I thought we played particularly well until Swansea had snatched the lead from a set-piece move. After that we showed our spirit and that’s why we won." He added: “There is a bit of northern grit among the lads. They’ve got a lot of fighting spirit in them and that is why we don’t give up."

Wycombe would travel to Walsall the following Tuesday in the AutoWindscreens Shield looking for a win in order to finish top of their qualifying group and earn a home draw in the next round. Even a defeat by two goals or less would see them into second place in the three team table ahead of Fulham and an away draw in Round Two. What could possibly go wrong?

Next game - Walsall v Wycombe (AutoWindscreens Shield) - Tuesday 7th November 1995
This is the story of WYCOMBE WANDERERS brought to you by HISTORY MENU