Wycombe Wanderers Match reports brought to you by Chairboys on the Net Chairboys Match Facts
brought to you by
Chairboys on the Net
Click here for the latest match previews and reports 
Port Vale - click here for Quick Guide Port Vale 0 Wycombe Wanderers - click here for your Rough Guide to The Chairboys
Wycombe Wanderers 1
Saturday 30th Sep 2000
Nationwide Football League Division Two
Andy Rammell - another great goal - picture Paul DennisAnother brilliant strike from Andy Rammell gave Wycombe a thoroughly deserved 1-0 victory in their first ever visit to Vale Park on Saturday. Wycombe dominated the game for long periods and would have been kicking themselves if Brian Horton's side had been let back in. A host of chances went begging throughout the 90 minutes for Wycombe with a combination of poor finishing, bad luck and brilliantly goalkeeping preventing the home side from being on the end of an embarrassing scoreline.
At the final whistle the home fans took their anger out on Horton with a torrent of verbal abuse aimed at the Valiants boss. For the Wycombe fans who has travelled to watch the game their was a completely different emotion as they came away probably disappointed that the scoreline hadn't been greater.
Wycombe, fielding an unchanged line-up for the fourth consecutive game, attacked the home side from the off with Steve Brown unleashing a 6th minute 25 yarder that home 'keeper Mark Goodlad was glad to see go wide of his right-hand upright.
The home side responded briefly when Marc Bridge-Wilkinson broke down the left channel but Wycombe managed to force the ball away after Ville Viljanen connected to the resulting cross.
The ability for Rammell to hold the ball up was highlighted again in the 17th minute when he chested the ball down to Michael Simpson on the left side. 'Simo' pushed the ball wide to McSporran but the chipped finish saw the ball go just high of the target. Four minutes later Wycombe were ahead. Rammell headed on Martin Taylor's clearance and when Michael Twiss could only half clear, Rammell was on hand to clinically pick his spot past Goodlad.
Viljanen headed just wide from Matthew Carragher's cross a minute later but it was Wycombe who dominated the remainder of the half.
Steve Brown saw a shot hit the bar in 37th minute while five minutes before the break Dannie Bulman and Simpson combined on the right to set-up McSporran but the ball was drilled into the side netting with only the 'keeper to beat. A minute later McSporran forced a brilliant tip over by Goodlad from similar position after seeing his initial shot blocked. A flurry of Wycombe efforts was completed when Bulman fired over from Harkin's lay-off. Vale's defence was simply appalling and too much for some home fans who had to be dealt with by the stewards.
However, with only one goal in it there was always the danger of Vale sneaking an equaliser and when Viljanen went close with a header just before the break it was a warning that Wycombe couldn't be too complacent.
Half-time Port Vale 0 Wycombe 1
As expected Vale came on strong early in the second-half after changing formation. Jamie Bates got in the way of a piledriver in the 51st minute, while six minutes later a well timed challenge on David Beresford prevented Taylor being troubled.
Wycombe got back into the swing of things with a double substitution and a change of formation of their own on the hour mark. Andy Baird made an immediate impact when he broke down the right channel only to tripped up a couple of yards outside of the penalty area. Incredibly there was no booking for the Vale player.
The Wanderers' other sub Danny Senda wasted a glorious chance on 70 minutes after Brown had pushed the ball right from Goodlad's poor clearance.
Six minutes later the home fans were screaming for handball when the ball was driven at Paul McCarthy after a goalmouth scramble in the Wycombe box. It was a rare attack for The Valiants as the home fans grew more and more restless.
In the end Wycombe simply burnt themselves out looking for another goal and were glad to hang on to hear the final whistle and gain the three points that keeps them very nicely situated in fifth place in the table
Final Score Port Vale 0 Wycombe 0
Wycombe: Taylor, Rogers, McCarthy, Bates, Vinnicombe, Bulman, Simpson, Brown (sub 80 Lee), Harkin (sub 60 Senda), McSporran (sub 60 Baird), Rammell
subs not used: Castledine Cousins
Port Vale: Goodlad, Carragher, Walsh, Burton (sub 9 Burns), Cummins, Viljanen (sub HT O'Callaghan), Naylor, Widdrington (sub 81 Freeman), Beresford, Bridge-Wilkinson, Twiss
subs not used: Delaney, Eyre
Yellow Card: Burns (82 foul)
Referee: Terry Jones Attendance: 3,615
Chairboys Stat File
30th Sep 2000

Division Two
Drew 3
Lost 2
Goals For
Goals Against 5

Top Scorers (League)
Steve Brown 3
Andy Baird 2
Jermaine McSporran 2
Jamie Bates 1
Dannie Bulman 1
Andy Rammell 1
Recent Games
Tue 26th Sep 2000
Worthington Cup
Birmingham City 1
Wycombe 0

Sat 23rd Sep 2000
Division Two
Wycombe 2
Peterborough 0

Tue 19th Sep 2000
Worthington Cup
Wycombe 3
Birmingham City 4
Chairboys on the Net - click here to reload from the top
Match Report Archive
(over 200 reports!)
2000/2001 - current season

- This time it was easy

1998/1999 - The ultimate survival battle ending at Lincoln

1997/1998 - Wanderers survive again

1996/1997 - Another survival battle

Port Vale - click here for Quick GuideQuick Guide to The Valiants, connections web links and more
Visit The Gas Room"Was our reporter at the same game? Have your say!!"
Click here other results on this dayOn This Day
More Wycombe results from 30th September

All match reports © 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999,2000 Chairboys on the Net - Not to be reproduced without our written permission.

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet