Wycombe Wanderers Match reports brought to you by Chairboys on the Net Chairboys Match Facts
brought to you by
Chairboys on the Net
Click here for the latest match previews and reports 
Barnet - click here for your QuickGuide on The Bees Barnet 2 Wycombe Wanderers - click here for your Rough Guide to The Chairboys
Wycombe Wanderers 1
Tuesday 22nd August 2000
Worthington Cup - 1st Round 1st Leg
Mark Rogers - picture Paul DennisThe unlikely figure of Mark Rogers popped up just 11 minutes from time to give Wycombe a vital lifeline towards the Second Round of the Worthington Cup. Trailing 2-0 at Barnet in the First Round - First Leg. Up until then it looked like Wycombe would be made to pay for a series of first half misses when they kicked down the massive Underhill slope.

Jermaine McSporran was guiltly of wasting three glorious first-half opportunities as The Wanderers looked like they would totally overrun their Third Division opponents.

Fielding another unchanged line-up from that of the opening two League games, Wycombe started like a house on fire. With the slope behind him McSporran was uncatchable and when he darted in from the right in the 9th minute Barnet 'keeper Lee Harrison was glad to see the shot skim wide of his far post. Eight minutes later Dannie Bulman played through McSporran in an even better position but he flashed the ball past the far post again.

Barnet's dangerman was Frazer Toms. He shot over 25 yards in the 20th minute, while in the 32nd minute a mass scramble in the Wycombe box ended when Jamie Bates cleared off the line from Toms' angled shot from the left side.

However, Wycombe continued to dominate in midfield. In the 34th minute Mo Harkin threaded the ball through to Steve Jones who then laid it back for Steve Brown but Harrison saved with ease. Four minutes before the break another slick move from Wycombe saw Michael Simpson set Chris Vinnicombe away down the left who then played on to McSporran but 'Jocky' mirrored his effort from the opposite side - pulling his shot wide of the far post.

Barnet's Darren Currie, a player in a similar mould to Sean Devine, saw a low shot whistle past Martin Taylor's right hand post in the 43rd minute before the action switched to the other end where Harkin, playing on the ground where he made his senior debut in 1996, tested Harrison with a low shot after Simspon and Jones had combined.

The half ended with Wycombe conceeding their first 10 yard ruling of the season. Harkin fouled, complained and referee Graham Barber paced out ten steps to take the ball within a couple of yards of the Wycombe penalty area. Thankfully for Wycombe, John Doolan's free-kick sailed high and wide of the target.

Half-time Barnet 0 Wycombe 0

Wycombe came out half awake in the second-half and within five minutes had fallen behind. Toms centered from the left and Doolan was left in space to head the ball low to Taylor's left.

McSporran hit another chance wide in the 52nd minute before he took a knock to the head that needed treatment. A few minutes later Sanchez introduced Andy Baird for Harkin, allowing McSporran a deeper role.

However, the change didn't improve Wycombe's fortunes. Only a last ditch tackle by Rogers on Ben Strevens stopped the 20 year old scoring on his first start for The Bees. Three minutes later the same player was clean through but after Taylor had cut down the angles, it was the upright that came to Wycombe's rescue.

Barnet finally pressed their second-half advantage in the 77th minute when Scott McGleish got the upper-hand on Bates down the left channel - the former Leyton Orient striker firing low past Taylor to stun the Wycombe fans behind that goal.

What could prove to be Wycombe's vital away goal came two minutes later. Chris Vinnicombe floated in a free-kick just left of centre and when Bates nodded on, Rogers was on hand to get the vital final touch. There was a moment of silence before the Wycombe fans realised it had gone in and even Rogers looked a little embarrassed to celebrate.

There was still time for Strevens to test Taylor at his near post and Wycombe will know that they've got to improve their finishing if they are to see off The Bees in the 2nd leg at Adams Park.

Final Score Barnet 2 Wycombe 1
Wycombe: Taylor, Rogers, Vinnicombe, Bates, McCarthy, Brown, Bulman, Simpson, Jones, Harkin (sub 61 Baird), McSporran
subs not used: Castledine, Cousins, Lee, Senda
Yellow Cards: Harkin (44), Simpson (64)
Barnet: Harrison, Stockley, Sawyers, Heald, Arber, Doolan, Currie, McGleish, Strevens (sub 85 Purser), Toms, Newton
subs not used: Berkley, Brown, Bossu, Darcy
Referee: Graham Barber Attendance 1741 (387 Wycombe)
Previous Games
Saturday 19th Aug 2000
Wycombe 1
Northampton 0 

Saturday 12th Aug 2000
Stoke City 0
Wycombe 0 
Pre-Season Friendlies
Saturday 22nd July 2000
Boreham W 0
Wycombe 2

Tuesday 25th July 2000
Wycombe 2

Saturday 29th July 2000
Bohemian 1
Wycombe 3

Tuesday 1st Aug 2000
Wycombe 0
Leicester 3

Saturday 5th Aug 2000
Wycombe 3
Crystal Palace 1
Chairboys on the Net - click here to reload from the top
Match Report Archive
(over 200 reports!)
1999/2000This time it was easy

1998/1999 - The ultimate survival battle ending at Lincoln

1997/1998 - Wanderers survive again

1996/1997 - Another survival battle

Barnet - click here for your QuickGuide on The Bees Quick Guide to The Bees.
Past meetings, connections, web links and more
Visit The Gas Room"Was our reporter at the same game? Have your say!!"
Click here other results on this dayOn This Day
More Wycombe results from 22nd August

All match reports © 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999,2000 Chairboys on the Net - Not to be reproduced without our written permission.

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet