Oxford United 1
Wycombe Wanderers 2
Monday 13th July 2020
Football League One - Play-Off Final

As far as emotional evening’s go watching your team via a satellite dish or internet connection, then Monday 13th July 2020 is unlikely to surpassed in the history of being a supporter of Wycombe Wanderers Football Club. At around 9.40pm UK time the final whistle at Wembley signaled a 2-1 victory for Wanderers over Oxford United and confirmation the Club would play in the second tier of English football for the first time in its 133 history.

Victory came after Anthony Stewart had headed in at the far post from a Joe Jacobson corner on 9 minutes, before United hit back with an equaliser on 57 minutes when Mark Sykes’ cross/shot evaded Ryan Allsop to set-up a tense finish on the Wembley turf.

It was Oxford who were in the ascendency at this point but Wycombe weathered the storm and when Fred Onyedinma was taken out by on rushing U’s ‘keeper Simon Eastwood with just over 10 minute left on the clock, it was left to Jacobson to convert the resulting penalty and send Wycombe players, officials and fans into hysterics as the promotion dream edged closer. Having conceded the latest of late goals in a play-off final with Southend United five years earlier, there was nothing being taken for granted but it was perhaps the experience of that heartbreak that drew the necessary inspiration to hold out against a battle scarred and shell-shocked United side – the final whistle in 2020 in such different circumstances sending Wycombe Wanderers into a surreal dreamland and a date that will always be remembered and will often pose the question where were you when Wycombe got promoted to the Championship.

Full-time - Oxford United 1 Wycombe Wanderers 2
Wycombe: Allsop, Jacobson, Gape, Stewart, Wheeler, Bloomfield (sub HT Pattison), Grimmer, Charles, Onyedinma (sub 90+3 Freeman), Samuel (sub 62 Akinfenwa), Ofoborh (sub 62 Thompson)
Subs not used: Stockdale, Kashket, Phillips, Jombati, Parker
Scorers: Stewart 9, Jacobson 79 (pen)
Bookings: Thompson
Oxford: Eastwood, Long (sub 79 Forde), Dickie, Moore, Ruffels, Sykes, Gorrin (sub HT Kelly), Brannagan, Henry (sub 79 Agyei), Taylor, Browne (sub 89 Woodburn)
Subs not used: Stevens, Mousinho, Mackie, Hanson, Atkinson
Scorers: Sykes 57
Bookings: Gorrin
Referee: Robert Jones Attendance: Behind closed doors due to COVID-19

Speaking after the game, Wanderers Manager Gareth Ainsworth told the press: "It's an amazing feeling. To take this club into the Championship is just surreal, it's beyond my wildest dreams. Today is just the culmination of all the desire and heart of all those boys out there on the pitch. They absolutely delivered and then some. It wasn't the greatest game we've played in the world. This was always going to be cagey. My goalkeeper has made two world-class saves, they really came at us and are a good side. But that was destined today. There are 25 individual stories that have ended in the Championship and I'm so proud of the boys. They've been amazing."

Wycombe's Adebayo Akinfenwa gave one of the most passionate and memorable post-match interviews you are ever likely to witness.

Extended highlights

All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet