Wycombe Wanderers 0
Barnet 2
Saturday 22nd October 2016
Football League Two

Wanderers slumped to a nightmare 2-0 home defeat to Barnet as substitute Myles Weston was sent off for a second bookable offence just seven minutes after his first yellow card. With the game goalless at the break, the visitors broke the deadlock on 64 minutes when Mauro Vilhete converted from 6 yards following a break down the left wing. Weston saw red on the stroke of full-time before former Wanderer John Akinde sealed the points in stoppage time.

Team news for the meeting with Barnet saw two changes from the side that had drew at Mansfield the previous Saturday - Nick Freeman and Garry Thompson coming into the starting XI in favour of Matt Bloomfield and Paul Hayes - the latter being reported as having 'picked up an injury in training'. There were also returns on the bench for long term injury victimes Scott Brown, Luke O'Nein, as well as summer signing Weston.

Barnet came to Adams Park lying 23rd in the table and without a win at Adams Park since a Conference victory back in April 1991. It looked pretty much par for the course during a first-half when Wanderers dominated possession and came close early on when Paris Cowan-Hall headed just wide from a dinked cross by Joe Jacobson.

Then on 14 minutes there was controversy when Cowan-Hall saw his shirt pulled while making a cross. The referee, seeing the cross seemingly going towards a Barnet defender, imediately signalled a free-kick to Wycombe but when Barnet defender Bondz N'Gala headed past his own 'keeper under pressure from Adebayo Akinfenwa, it was made to look a poor decision.

There were further chances in the half for Wanderers but it was the visitors who gradually began to take control of the game. Wycombe, frustrated by a turned down penalty appeal on 55 minutes when Cowan-Hall went down under a challenge from Luke Gambin, fell behind on 64 minutes. Former Wanderers John Akinde darted down the left wing before chipping the ball up over Anthony Stewart to Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro. The substitute managed to cut inside Aaron Pierre before setting up Mauro Vilhete to neftly flick the past the oncoming Jamal Blackman from the near corner of the six-yard box.

The introduction of susbtitutes Scott Kashket and Weston made little change to Wanderers' efforts. Weston, perhaps looking to create an impression, picked up a relatively 'soft' yellow card on 83 minutes for shoulder charging into a Barnet player following a Wycombe corner from the right. Then on the stroke of 90 minutes, Weston chased back to defend a Barnet break but only proceeded to clip the back of an opponent's ankles and there were groans as referee Graham Horwood reached for his notebook to produce the cards that sent the former Southend man down the tunnel.

To cap Wycombe's miserable day, they were caught on the break again as Blackman's long clearance was punted back over the half-way line, where Akinde muscled his way past Pierre before side stepping Blackman and finishing with a low shot from 12 yards.

The defeat sees Wanderers drop to 21st in the table, just 2 points above the drop zone.
Full-time - Wycombe 0 Barnet 2
Wycombe: Blackman, Harriman, Jacobson, Stewart, Pierre, Thompson (sub 67 Kashket), Rowe, Gape (sub 83 Bloomfield), Freeman (sub 67 Weston), Akinfenwa, Cowan-Hall - subs not used: Brown, Wood, O'Nien, De Havilland
Scorers: none
Bookings: Weston 83 - Red Card: Weston 90 (second yellow)
Barnet: Vickers, Hoyte, Vilhete, N'Gala, Nelson, Sesay, Champion, Muggleton, Weston (sub 79 Taylor, 79), Gambin (sub 55 Akpa Akpro), Akinde (sub 94 Kyei) - subs not used: Stephens, Dembele, Watson, Amaluzor
Scorers: Vilhete 65, Akinde 93
Bookings: Champion 64, Akinde 71, Vilhete 93
Referee: Graham Horwood Attendance: 3,596 (250 away)

Gareth AinsworthSpeaking after the game, Wanderers Manager Gareth Ainsworth told the press: "We gifted them a goal with their first shot on target. But once Barnet went a goal up they parked the bus. We needed to get behind them and we couldn't. The second half was very disappointing, We have got to be better than that. People were not taking the bull by the horns and taking some responsibility on some of the passes. I thought we could have been better and more decisive on some passes."
Commenting on Wanderers' dissallowed goal when the score was 0-0, Ainsworth added: "The referee has apologised, and I'll relay that to the fans, but it's not going to make it any better." While the reaction to Myles Weston's red card saw the Wycombe boss say: "The sending off isn't one of the biggest concerns for me after that. Even 0-0 wouldn't have been good enough - I wanted to win today."

All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet