Wycombe Wanderers 2
Northampton Town 3
Saturday 3rd October 2015
Football League Two

Wanderers were knocked off the top of 'League Two' after succumbing to a 3-2 defeat to Northampton Town at Adams Park. It continued Wycombe's poor home record against The Cobblers who they have now not beaten at Adams Park in the previous ten attempts in all competitions - the last victory against The Northants side in Bucks coming back in the 2001/2 season.

Wycombe, with Aaron Amadi-Holloway coming into the starting XI in place of the injured Michael Harriman, had a dream start on 75 seconds when Luke O'Nein scored his first senior when he looped in a header from 12 yards after The Cobblers had woefully defended a high ball into the box from deep in the Wycombe half.

But in a game littered with chances for both sides, The Cobblers came close to levelling on 13 minutes when Marc Richards saw Matt Ingram tip wide his low effort from the right and Nicky Adams just fail to connect with his sliding attempt to convert the loose ball at the far post. Two minutes later Joel Byrom saw a 30 yard effort deflected wide of the left-hand upright.

It only looked a matter of time before Northampton drew level but Wanderers could have been two goals clear in the 20th minute when Garry Thompson was set clear down the left channel but David Buchanan was quick to cover and slide in to clear before Thompson had a chance to shoot. Back to the other end again and it was Ingram who saved one handed to his left to deny Sam Hoskins on 24 minutes. Thompson had an even better chance two minutes later but was foiled by Adam Smith in The Cobblers goal after the Wycombe player attempted to clip the ball over the Northampton 'keeper from 12 yards.

A Northampton corner from the left on 32 minutes saw Ingram saved one handed again from Ryan Cresswell before Joe Jacobson cleared off the line. However, the the visitors eventually drew level on 35 minutes when Marc Richards curled a free-kick from the edge of the box into the top right corner of the net. The goal came after Marcus Bean had conceeded the free-kick and earned a 5th yellow card of the season that will see him serve a one match suspension in the midweek Football League Trophy visit to Bristol Rovers.

Wanderers let the game slip away with disastrous defending of their own in the opening six minutes of the second-half. First on 46 minutes Lawson D'Ath headed in a left wing cross from Adams, while five minutes later Shaun Brisley nodded in again from a similar position as the finger pointed continued in the Wycombe back-four.

Gareth Ainsworth, who had seen his side completely overrun in midfield up to that point, made a double substitution on the hour mark, bringing on Matt Bloomfield and Sam Wood for O'Nein and Amadi-Holloway. However, it did little effect the outcome of the game despite a late burst from the Wanderers where they grabbed a consolation second goal on 82 minutes. Wycombe's goal came when Smith flapped at a corner from the right and in the resulting melee, Danny Rowe fired in the loose ball from the right corner of the six yard box for his first senior goal alongside O'Nein's earlier effort.

New leaders of 'League Two' are Plymouth Argyle - two points clear of Wycombe on 23 points. Wanderers lead 3rd placed Leyton Orient on goal-difference.
Full-time - Wycombe 2 Northampton 3
Wycombe: Ingram, Jombati, Jacobson, Rowe, Pierre, Bean, McGinn (sub 60 Wood), O’Nien (sub 80 Kretzschmar), Amadi-Holloway (sub 60 Bloomfield), Thompson, Ugwu - subs not used: Lynch, Sellers, Banton
Scorers: O'Nein 2, Rowe 82
Bookings: Bean 34, Ugwu 87
Northampton: Smith, Furlong, Buchanan, Cresswell, Brisley, D’Ath (sub 77 Watson), O’Toole, Byrom, Adams (sub 90 Diamond), Richards, Hoskins (sub 70 Calvert-Lewin) - subs not used: Clarke, Horwood, Lelan, Hackett
Scorers: Richards 35, D'Ath 47, Brisley 51
Bookings: Furlong 28, O'Toole 75, Watson 85
Referee: Mr Keith Hill Attendance: 4,227 (away 597)

Gareth AinsworthSpeaking after the game, Wanderers Manager Gareth Ainsworth told the press: "The two sloppy goals at the start of the second half were terrible. It was not us at all. You can’t defend like that and we gave ourselves a mountain to climb. It was a cross, a free kick and two free headers in our box. Northampton played well but that’s the worst we’ve played this season without a doubt We weren’t at the races today and fair play to them they have won the game. We have got to piece it together now for Tuesday. We lost a lot of individual battles in the middle of the park and we didn’t get our foot on it like we usually do. There’s no excuses we weren’t good enough today and we’ve got to put that right. We were the worst team today but right to the end we were still fighting. The players are absolutely devastated, they are not used to losing. We are not top any more, Plymouth have gone top now, let others have a few pot shots at them and we can go under the radar. In the second half when we were chasing it we played some decent stuff, but not enough. We are still second in the table after 11 games so it is not all doom and gloom.We still scored two and we were in it right until then end. They were desperate for the final whistle, they celebrated like mad at the end and that shows the respect they have for us but you can’t let three goals in at home."

All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet