Barnet 0
Wycombe Wanderers 2
Saturday 15th August 2015
Football League Two

Garry Thompson - brace against Barnet Garry Thompson scored his first competitive goals for the Wanderers as Gareth Ainsworth's opened the League season with a second successive victory following a 2-0 win at Barnet. Thompson turned and shot home from 20 yards eight in the 53rd minute and then sealed victory with a 90th minute penalty after he had been felled in the area.

In what was Barnet's first Football League game at their Hive ground, team news for Wycombe saw Aaron Pierre return to the starting line-up after missing the Fulham League Cup game with a deadleg. However, Anthony Stewart was unavailable having picked up a knock against Fulham, meaning Danny Rowe continued in the centre of defence. Up front, Paul Hayes partnered Thompson with Aaron Amadi-Holloway dropping to the bench. Goalkeeper Alex Lynch also found himself on the bench having been recalled from Wealdstone due to an injury to Barry Richardson.

Encouraged by a noisey 902 following in the 2,562 crowd, Wycombe found themselves under pressure in the early stages and had former Wanderer John Akinde to thank for missing two clear chances in the first-half - on both occasions firing wide of the target. But Wycombe survived and the home side were made to pay eight minutes into the second-half when Thompson collected the ball back to goal and turned and shot just inside in the left-hand upright.

Jason Banton replaced an injured Rowe on 77 minutes, with Wycombe re-jigging the line-up to move Amadi-Holloway into the cente of defence. It signalled a final push from the home side but they denied by another trademark Matt Ingram save on 84 minutes when he managed to keep out a Michael Gash overhead kick. Then with seven minutes of stoppage time announced, Wycombe confirmed victory with a second goal that pushes Gareth Ainsworth's to the top of the League Two table on goal difference from Leyton Orient.
Full-time - Barnet 0 Wycombe 2
Wycombe: Ingram, Jombati, Rowe (sub 77 Banton), Pierre, Jacobson, Harriman, O’Nien, Bean, Wood, Thompson, Hayes (sub 71 Amadi-Holloway) - subs not used: Lynch, McGinn, Bloomfield, Sellers
Scorers: Thompson 53, 90 (pen)
Bookings: Pierre 47, O'Nien 76, Banton 83, Ingram 91
Barnet: Stack, Hoyte (sub 58 Tomlinson), N’Gala, Dembele, Johnson, Yiadom, Togwell, Champion, Gambin (sub 69 Batt), Weston (sub 58 Gash), Akinde - subs not used: Stephens, Nelson, Vilhete, Muggleton
Scorers: none
Bookings: Tomlinson 73
Referee: Charles Breakspear Attendance: 2,563 (away 902)

Gareth AinsworthSpeaking after the game, Wanderers Manager Gareth Ainsworth told the press: "I'm really proud of the commitment from everyone. Garry Thompson's work-rate was phenomenal and he deserved both of his goals from that alone. Matt Ingram is the best keeper in the division, we are so lucky to have him in between the sticks, but he will be the first to say he has a wonderful back four in front of him. We haven't been able to fill the bench yet so it may only get worse. The loan market will be big, so if I have to dip into there I will do. Managers say they don't look at the league table, I do, doesn't mean a thing being top this early. It's nice to be there, but there is plenty of football to be played."

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet