Cambridge United 0
Wycombe Wanderers 1
Saturday 7th February 2015
Football League Two

Hogan Ephraim - Wanderers match winner at Cambridge is surrounded by opponents at the Abbey Stadium Hogan Ephraim scored his first goal for the Wanderers as Cambridge United were beaten 1-0 at The Abbey Stadium to take Gareth Ainsworth's side back up to 2nd place in the table. The former QPR man struck on 53 minutes when he curled a free-kick from the left through a crowded box and into the far corner of the net.

Team news for Wanderers had seen Aaron Holloway recalled to the side in favour of Matt McClure, while Matt Bloomfield returned in midfield in place of Peter Murphy. Holloway continued to impress as did Ephraim, whose goal secured another Wanderers 2014/15 trademark result and performance - strong defence, single goal victory, undefeated on a Saturday and a red card for the opponents.

The sending-off came in controversial circumstances just a minute after Wanderers had taken the lead. With a Cambridge corner about to be delivered from the left, Matt Ingram twice trod on the toes of United's Cameron McGeehan, prompting the home player to kick the Wycombe 'keeper in full view of referee Andy Davies. McGeehan became the tenth player to be red-carded against the Wanderers this season (7 in the League, 3 in cup matches), while Wycombe have yet to have seen a player take an early bath. Last season, Wycombe had nine players sent to the tunnel, with five opponents seeing red.

Full-time - Cambridge 0 Wycombe 1
Wycombe: Ingram, Jombati, Pierre, Mawson, Jacobson, Ephraim (sub 70 Murphy), Bean, Bloomfield, Wood, Onyedinma, Holloway (sub 81 Craig) - subs not used: Richardson, Senior, Rowe, Fletcher, McClure
Scorers: Ephraim (53)
Bookings: Bloomfield (49)
Cambridge: Dunn, Tait, Taylor, Coulson, Nelson, McGeehan, Donaldson, Champion, Morrissey (sub 67 Kaikai), Simpson (sub 75 Hunt), Elliott (sub 63 Slew) - subs not used: Norris, Miller, Ball, Chadwick
Scorers: none
Bookings: McGeehan (red card 55 - violent conduct)
Referee: Mr Andy Davies Attendance: 6,894 (701 away)

Post match reaction:
Gareth Ainsworth Commenting after the game, Gareth Ainsworth said, "It was a footballing day for us, rather than knocking it long and trying to get the bits. It was a real possession day, which the pitch warranted. They have got a good pitch here Ė we havenít had one of those for a few weeks. Iím pleased we could show the fans some of the stuff weíre trying to do." The Wycombe boss also said: "I thought Aaron Holloway led the line fantastically. They tried to do very similar stuff to us but they didnít have Aaron Holloway up front. A lot of bits came from him. Marcus Bean, in that defensive role, got hold of the ball well and distributed it really well. I canít say any more about the back five that I havenít said already. We build from there."
Meanwhile, U's Manager Richard Money was not happy about the red card incident, saying: "I've just seen the incident with McGeehan and he has flicked a shoelace at the goalkeeper and the referee sees it, so you can say the red card is I wouldn't say understandable, but you put yourself in the situation where the referee can make that decision. But the reaction from the goalkeeper is well, I don't know how to describe it, actually. Then the worst decision of all, and I've just seen it, Robbie Simpson is wrestled to the floor in exactly the same way as he has given a free kick a minute ago (Michael Nelson's foul to give away the free-kick from which Ephraim scored), so the game has been decided by those two minutes and we've come off the pitch losers in a game where we deserved at least something from it, at least for our endeavour if nothing else after a very tough week."

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet