Wycombe Wanderers 0
Tranmere Rovers 2
Tuesday 19th August 2014
Football League Two

Paul Hayes - one of a number of Wanderers players denied by Tranmere keeper Owain Fon WilliamsWanderers' winning start to the 2014/15 campaign came to an abrupt halt as they went down 2-0 at home to Tranmere Rovers. Wycombe, unchanged for the fourth consecutive match, were left frustrated by a string of saves from visiting 'keeper Owain Fon Williams coupled with conceeding sucker punch goals from Cole Stockton on 19 minutes and then the killer on 54 minutes from the wonderfully named Max Power.

Wanderers string of chances began in the 6th minute when Max Kretzschmar forced Fon Williams to save to his right with a low shot from the edge of the box. The Welsh 'keeper then had to be alert to save the blushes of Michael Ihiekwe who came close to bagging an own-goal when he headed Paris Cowan-Hall's cross goalwards from six yards.

However, it was the visitors who grabbed the lead when a short throw from the right was hooked back by Power from the byeline for Stockton to sweep home at the near post past Matt Ingram to delight the loyal band of around 250 Tranmere fans who were tucked away in the corner of the 'old' Main Stand.

Behind for the first time in the League in the current season, Wanderers took a while to get going again but could have equaliser early in the second half when Sam Wood's powerful left footed drive was heading towards to the top right corner of the Valley End net but Fon Williams dived full length to push away.

The crucial second goal came moments after Paul Hayes and Matt McClure had seen a chance go at the other end. This time it was Power, the provider for the first goal, driving home a low shot through a crowd of players to make the score 2-0 after Wanderers failed to clear a move down the Tranmere left. To Wycombe's credit they never gave up and a goal back at this stage could have made the closing stages interesting. Instead it was Fon Williams who continued to snuff out any potential comeback with further saves to deny a long range effort from Hayes, while substitute Steven Craig also saw a late header saved to sum up Wycombe's evening.

Full-time - Wycombe 0 Tranmere 2
Wycombe: Ingram, Jombati, Jacobson, Mawson, Pierre, Cowan-Hall (sub 81 Craig), Murphy, Kretzschmar (sub 76 Rowe), Wood, Hayes, McClure (sub 57 Holloway) - subs not used: Richardson, Lewis, Bloomfield, Walker
Scorers: none
Bookings: none
Tranmere: Fon Williams, Woodards, Hill, Ihiekwe, Holness, Laird, Koumas, Power, Richards, Kirby, Stockton - subs not used: Ramsbottom, Donacien, Bruna, Gill, Gumbs, Rowe, Odejayi
Scorers: Stockton 19, Power 54
Bookings: Ihiekwe 41
Referee: Mr Brendan Malone Attendance: 3,005 (254 away)

Post match reaction:
Gareth Ainsworth Commenting after the game, Gareth Ainsworth said he was left frustrated, saying, "We had more chances and more shots on goal but they looked like they weren't going to go in for us. Tranmere had few chances, they took two of them and that was the difference. Not just that, we lacked a bit of energy and were outmuscled off the ball a few times. I'm fine with how we've been going. In the first four games of the season, three performances have been outstanding. Today we ran out of steam a little bit and were a little bit loose. This happens, and hopefully people will realise that. All over the park we were sometimes a little bit second best. The energy levels we've shown and the bar we've set so high, we didn't reach that tonight. Although we've had a bad night we created a lot of chances - double figures perhaps - they just didn't go in for us tonight. On another night maybe they will and we can capitalise on that." But the Wanderers boss concluded, "We'll bounce back and that's what it's about for the next three days - bouncing back, getting the energy levels back up for Saturday."

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet