Chesterfield 2
Wycombe Wanderers 0
Saturday 23rd November 2013
Football League Two

Gary Doherty - great chance at Chesterfield Wanderers went down 2-0 at second placed Chesterfield with both goals coming in the first half. Oliver Banks put the home side into the lead on 32 minutes with a close range header and Armand Gnanduillet doubled the lead on the stroke of half-time with another header following a corner. Wanderers improved in the second period but failed to take their chances and now drop to 15th place in the table.

The defeat to the League Two pacesetters came after Gareth Ainsworth named an unchanged side to the one that had beaten Crewe the previous Tuesday in an FA Cup replay. Wanderers best spell of the game followed the introduction of Dean Morgan around the hour mark. The striker fired just wide of Tommy Lee's left hand post a shortly after his introduction, while Gary Doherty had a great chance with a header on 69 minutes but the central defender sent his effort wide from six yards. Substitute Max Kretzschmar also had a strong appeal for a penalty waved away in the dying moments to sum up Wanderers' day.
Full-time - Chesterfield 2 Wycombe 0
Wycombe: Ingram, McCoy, Wood, Doherty, Stewart, Cowan-Hall (sub 83 Kretzschmar), Lewis, Scowen, Knott (sub 90 Bloomfield), Craig, McClure (sub 59 Morgan) - subs not used: Horlock, Dunne, Johnson, Morias.
Scorer: none
Bookings: Craig 76
Chesterfield: Lee, Talbot, Humphreys, Evatt, Cooper, Hird, Ryan, O'Shea (sub 61 Darikwa), Banks (sub 61 McFadzean), Roberts, Gnanduillet (sub 86 Doyle) - subs not used: Chapman, Togwell, Devitt, Richards
Scorers: Banks 32, Gnanduillet 45
Bookings: Evatt 51, O'Shea 56
Referee: Mr A Woolmer Attendance: 5,798 (away 146)

Post match reaction:
Gareth Ainsworth Commenting after the game, Gareth Ainsworth said, "It shows how close the league is when a team that performs so badly in the first half can dominate the second half like we did. It is pleasing but it’s so frustrating because where was that first half? We didn’t start the game well today – we looked fearful, we looked a little bit tired. If we played like that second half I’d probably have said, ‘bad day at the office’, but to come out with the reaction and the energy and the way we played second half, it’s very frustrating because I needed that first half and it just wasn’t there. We’ve got a bad history here and we’re coming to a top team that’s tipped for promotion – maybe the fear factor was there a little bit." The Wycombe boss added, "I want consistency over the season but I want consistency in games. If we’d have played half as well as in the second half in the first half I think we’d have come away with something today. The first goal I’ll take but the second goal was a terrible goal to concede, just before half time. We’ve got to manage the game better. We’ve got a young team and it’s about experience. I can’t keep harping on about this, they have to learn quickly. If we go in 1-0 down it gives us a fighting chance and the way we came out I think we possibly would have scored. They were on the back foot. The two goal cushion gave them that bit of confidence to defend well. That second goal was really key today. They were going to get a bit of a blast anyway but that just made me even more furious, conceding a sloppy corner with a minute to go. Good teams don’t do that. If we come in at 1-0, change the things that need to be changed and go out and perform like we did second half I would have been a lot happier than I am now.”

Back To Top

Chairboys on the Net All there is to say and know about Wycombe Wanderers on the Internet