The Story of The Blues
brought to you by
Fulham v Wycombe Wanderers
Autoglass Trophy - Southern Area Semi-Final
Tuesday 8th February 1994
Fulham v Wycombe programme - Feb 1994 Wanderers, in their debut season in the Football League, travelled to Fulham aiming to add The Cottagers to a list of teams beaten from the Second Division during a hectic season of cup matches. To reach this stage Wycombe had eliminated Brentford and Cardiff City from Division Two before a freak goal from Steve Guppy saw Colchester United eased aside at Layer Road.
With the Autoglass Trophy now at a serious stage, around 2,000 Wycombe fans had travelled into London to witness what turned out to be a memorable but long night close to the bank of the Thames.
The drama started inside the opening minute when Gary Brazil volleyed home for Fulham from 15 yards after a corner from the left had been headed clear by Terry Evans.
Wycombe saw Steve Guppy almost drew the scores level in the 8th minute when he darted in from the left but Fulham stalwart Jim Stannard blocked. However, it was Fulham who had chances to extend their lead when full-back Martin Pike fired wide from long range and Peter Baah saw a shot go inches high of Paul Hyde's crossbar before the half-hour mark.
Keith Ryan helped on Terry Evans header at the far post only for Stannard to save but it was Evans who was to collapse minutes later after a heavy challenge in the Fulham penalty area. Andy Kerr eventually replaced Evans moments before the half-time break with Jason Cousins taking over the Captain's armband.
Half-time Fulham 1 Wycombe 0
Wycombe were dealt another injury blow when Duncan Horton was forced off at half-time to be replaced by Tim Langford but the resulting change in formation helped Martin O'Neill's side. Within minutes Wycombe debutant Simon Garner saw a snap shot saved and the ex-West Brom and Blackburn star flashed another effort just wide on 54 minutes after Hyde's long clearance had been headed on by Guppy.
Wanderers dominance was finally rewarded in the 62nd minute but it was thanks to a bit of luck. Hyde cleared into the back of Brazil but picked up the rebound and drop-kicked up field for Tim Langford to run on to and ease past Stannard from just inside the penalty area. It was now all Wycombe and Garner was twice more denied by Stannard before referee Mark Bailey called an end to the 90 minutes.
90 minutes Fulham 1 Wycombe 1
Wycombe continued their flowing football into extra-time. Within a minute a brilliant move started by Steve Thompson in midfield saw the former Slough Town man exchange with Guppy before Langford laid the ball right only for Dave Carroll to see his shot skim the crossbar.
But Wycombe were ahead two minutes later when Guppy flighted a ball across from the left side of midfield for Tim Langford to pounce on and strike home from 20 yards.
Two amazing goal-line clearances at either end followed three minutes into the second period of extra-time. First in the Wycombe penalty area Cousins did enough to deflect Jeff Eckhardt's effort onto the post after Brazil had centered from the right. Wycombe broke immediately with Langford finding Garner left side of goal but Terry Angus stopped the ball on the line.
With the tension building O'Neill was told to calm down by the match officials but Wycombe couldn't force that vital third goal and Fulham dragged themselves back into the game, Gary Brazil turning on the edge of the six-yard box to convert Baah's cross from the left bye-line to level with six minutes remaining.
Even then Wycombe had time to win the tie before the dreaded penalty shoot-out but Pike managed to clear off the line from Langford with Stannard stranded.
After extra-time Fulham 2 Wycombe 2
Wanderers celebrate in the dressing room. Players from the back row, left to right, Steve Guppy, Paul Hyde, Jason Cousins, Dave Carroll, Simon Stapleton, Matt Crossley, Duncan Horton, Andy Kerr (hidden), Simon Garner. At the front are Terry Evans (injured), Keith Ryan, Tim Langford and Steve Thompson. Picture: Paul Dennis The evening's drama was completed with a nerve jangling penalty shoot-out at the far end of the ground to the Wycombe masses. First Langford converted before Hyde saved Pike's spotkick. Kerr, Brazil, Carroll and Fulham youngster Lee Tierling all then scored to make the score 3-2 in Wycombe's advantage. Simon Stapleton chose a short run-up for his kick and saw Stannard save but Hyde sparred Stapleton's grief when he shut out Duncan Jupp's drive down the centre. It was then left for Cousins to stride up and tuck the ball to Stannard's right and win the tie for Wycombe. Cousins set off on a glory charge before being mobbed by his team-mates and staff who then paid tribute to the travelling fans on the Putney Terrace.
Fulham Team: Stannard, Jupp, Pike, Onwere (sub 97 Mison), Angus, Thomas, Hails, Bedrossian (sub 105 Tierling), Eckhardt, Brazil, Baah
Wycombe Team: Hyde, Cousins, Horton (sub HT Langford), Crossley, Evans (sub 43 Kerr), Ryan, Carroll, Thompson, Stapleton, Garner, Guppy
Attendance: 8,733 NB Wycombe lost to Swansea City over two legs in the Area Final
This is the story of WYCOMBE WANDERERS brought to you by HISTORY MENU