The Story of The Blues
brought to you by
Wycombe Wanderers 1
Chesterfield 0
Tuesday 12th September 1995
Football League Division Two

Loanee Stewart Castledine grabbed the only goal of the game as Wanderers beat Chesterfield in a Tuesday evening game at Adams Park. A crowd of just over 3,600 (close to 2,000 down on the previous Saturday's 1-1 darw at home to Peterborough) saw the Wimbledon man head home the winner on 36 minutes.

The days before the meeting with Chestefield had seen Manager Alan Smith go on a shopping spree when he snapped up David Farrell from Aston Villa and Jason Rowbotham from Raith Rovers. Farrell, a 24-year-old left winger, cost £100,000 while Rowbotham’s fee would be decided by a tribunal. [The fee was later set at £40,000 after the Scottish club had asked for £100,000]. Rowbotham, a 26-year-old full back who could play both left and right, scored the winning penalty which ended Celtic’s Scottish League Cup hopes the previous season. Commenting on the deals Smith said: “They’re both very quick. Farrell played for Villa against Palace in the Coca-Cola Cup last season and did very well. He will give us a hit of pace which we need on the left wing. He’s also young enough for us to be able to mould him.”

Reporting for the Bucks Free Press, Claire Nash wrote: 'With an unstoppable grin and enthusiasm to match, Stewart Castledine set about ensuring Wycombe Wanderers came away with all three points at Adams Park on Tuesday night. The bubbly on-loan Wimbledon midfielder’s goal after 36 minutes capped Blues’ impressive start against Chesterfield. New signings David Farrell and Jason Rowbotham made impressive debuts but it was Castledine’s contribution which was ultimately the most vital after Wycombe failed to take the game by the scruff of the neck.

Like Saturday’s 1-1 draw against Peterborough, Blues began well but let it slide. On Tuesday, Wycombe were fortunate that Chesterfield lacked creativity and a killer instinct in front of goal. Wycombe were unfortunate not to have a penalty late on after Steve McGavin was brought down twice in the space of a few seconds, first by Chesterfield goalkeeper David Pierce, then by defender Jamie Hewitt. Referee Clive Wilkes was not interested in either claim. So Castledine’s goal, his second since joining Blues, won the night, despite a few scary second-half moments.

“I pride myself on getting forward. I like to get in there and score a few goals,” he said afterwards. The 22-year-old midfielder. whose enthusiasm is evident in his play and constant shouts of encouragement to team-mates, is clearly enjoying his time at Wycombe, but is uncertain about his fate once his loan is up in a few weeks. “It’s nice to play first team football. Football is limited at Wimbledon. Unless you are absolutely outstanding, you end up in the reserves and then you’re not sure where you stand,” said Castledine. He added: “I don’t know if I will stay or not. I’m just happy to help out.”

Castledine came close to scoring earlier than he did. Farrell put in a slick cross after his first pacy foray down the left wing on nine minutes. With Castledine rushing in at the far post, Pierce could only parry, but the ball went too far for the midfielder. Pierce, who was playing instead of Chesterfield’s number one Andy Beasley, flapped at anything in air. He struggled to control Gary Patterson’s long ball which Miquel Desouza tried to latch on to on 20 minutes. Blues’, and still the country’s, leading scorer headed just over from Farrell’s tight cross on 28 minutes.

It was Farrell who forced the corner from which Wycombe scored, Castledine’s powerful header burying Dave Carroll’s cross. Wycombe, however, sat back after their goal. Despite McGavin’s tricky back heel which put Patterson in, there was little likely to produce a second goal before the break.

Blues’ best chance before their double penalty appeal was Patterson’s low shot which was blocked by Pierce. The goal keeper got up well to deny Castledine’s header from the rebound. Castledine continued to time his runs from deep well and came close to scoring his second on 64 minutes but his shot rebounded off a defender and was saved.

Wycombe lost Matt Crossley not long afterwards when the central defender went off with concussion. Most Blues supporters spent the last 20 minutes watching the clock rather than the game, with Chesterfield enjoying more of the possession. Substitutes Andy Morris and Mark Jules added greater urgency to the visitors’ quest for an equaliser, with Jules’ pace causing problems for Wycombe’s defence. Wanderers thought they’d got their chance to put the result beyond doubt when Pierce floored McGavin in the box on 86 minutes. With his team-mates and the crowd appealing for a penalty, the Wycombe striker got up and had another try, but appeared to be bundled over by Hewitt. Wilkes, though, waved play on.'

Wycombe: Hyde, Rowbotham, Hardyman, Howard, Crossley (sub 69 McGorry), Patterson, Carroll, Castledine, Desouza, McGavin, Farrell - subs not used: Garner, Bell
Scorers: Castledine 36
Bookings: none
Chesterfield: Pierce, Hewitt, Rogers, Curtis, Williams, Law, Robinson (sub 70 Morris), Davies, Lormor, Dyche, Hazel (sub 70 Jules) - sub not used: Narbett
Scorers: none
Bookings: none
Referee: Mr C Wilkes (Gloucester) Attendance: 3,617

Wanderers Assistant Manager David Kemp fielded the press conference after the game saying: "We are obviously not 100 per cent. When we get in front we are not doing what we did to get the goals. But we have got new players who can improve the team and with ten points from our last 12, we have a lot to be going on with"

Next game - Stockport County v Wycombe - Saturday 16th September 1995
This is the story of WYCOMBE WANDERERS brought to you by HISTORY MENU