The Story of The Blues
brought to you by
York v Wycombe programme cover York City 0
Wycombe Wanderers 0
Tuesday 14th March 1995
Football League Division One

Wanderers had to settle for a point from a 0-0 draw at Bootham Crescent as Martin O'Neill's side dropped to 9th place in Division Two. With Miquel Desouza confirmed as ruled out for the season through injury, it was left to the veteran front pairing of Cyrille Regis and Simon Garner to attempt to break down the home defence.

Reporting for the Bucks Free Press, David Clough said: 'York’s terriers worried Wycombe Wanderers out of a positive result from their Division Two fixture on Tuesday night. Neither side could afford to lose at Bootham Crescent on Tuesday night if hopes of making a play-off place were not to recede any further into fantasy.

The eventual scoreless draw, which looked an odds-on outcome from an early stage, was as much as each team deserved. York did not have the poise on the ball or cutting edge near goal, and Wycombe rarely showed any intent going forward. Martin O’Neill’s side might have grabbed two vital extra points, particularly after long periods of possession in both halves. As it was, they had every right to be more thankful for the final whistle than York, who were recording their first league draw since these teams last met back in October at Adams Park.

York finished stronger and also set out by far the snappier. They played most of the match with three men up front, and the tactic soon gave Wycombe plenty to think about. Blues’ defence haasasasasd to close down Glenn Naylor in the first minute when the front man was put through by Wayne Hall. But Terry Evans and Jason Cousins were in control in Wycombe’s central defence, the latter slotting in for the third match running alongside- his captain, rather than at his customary right-back position.

Sure-footedness in the Wycombe defence kept York at bay, and by the 20th minute, the visitors threatened to come into the game at the other end too. Terry Howard got in a good cross, but Mickey Bell fluffed his chance to volley, after York’s goalkeeper Dean Kiely had failed to gather. Wycombe ran the half from there, but seemed happy to play it mostly in the middle of the pitch, rather than in the York penalty area. Gary Patterson, who impressed to half-time, had Wycombe’s first worthwhile shot on target, bringing a save from Kiely after turning his man and letting fly from outside the area.

Blues’ brightest moment came just before the half hour. Simon Garner showed great technique and a touch of inspiration, otherwise lacking from his team’s performance, when he volleyed on the turn on the end of Howard’s ball into the area. Kiely produced the best save of the night to deny what was by far the best effort.

York hit back to earn four consecutive corners before the break. Wycombe’s defence was well- equipped though and the pressure brought no reward. One more Wycombe foray into York territory, on the stroke of half time, saw Garner appealing for a penalty. Steve Tutill’s tackle was good though and so was the judgement of the referee, who waved play on.

The second half saw more of the same from both sides, arguably with less excitement. Graeme Murty’s volley over the crossbar was the climax of York’s early urgency, while a Cyrille Regis header went high and wide after a good cross from Dave Carroll. York’s best chances came in the 78th and 82nd minutes, Paul Barnes and Paul Baker being the nearly men. First, a combination of Wycombe goalkeeper Paul Hyde, well out of his area, and Cousins closed Barnes down enough for the York man to put his right-foot shot just wide. Then Baker’s header clipped the crossbar on its way over the Wycombe goal, after Hall knocked a dangerous ball in. That was the end of the evening’s scant entertainment, in a match which rightly shared out the points.'

Wycombe: Hyde, Cousins, Howard, Brown, Evans, Reid, Carroll, Bell, Regis, Garner (sub 80 Thompson), Patterson - subs not used: Crossley, Moussaddik (GK)
Scorers: none
Bookings: Brown 34 (ungentlemanly conduct), Garner 46 (dissent)
York: Kiely, Barratt, Wilson, Murty, Tutill, Atkin, Jordan, Barnes, Baker, Naylor (sub 71 Mc Millan), Hall. – subs not used: Peverell, Warrington (GK)
Scorers: none
Bookings: none
Referee: E Lomas (Manchester) Attendance: 2,800

Speaking after the game Martin O'Neill said: "The game was there for the taking. York are not playing too cleverly, but neither are we in terms of our performances over 90 minutes." Wanderers next game would see them take on highflyers Birmingham City at Adams Park on Saturday 18th March 1995. Meanwhile, O'Neill was stepping up his search for a new striker ahead of transfer deadline day for the 1994/95 season (Thursday 23rd March 1995).

Next game - Wycombe v Birmingham - Saturday 18th March 1995
This is the story of WYCOMBE WANDERERS brought to you by HISTORY MENU