The Story of The Blues
brought to you by
Wigan v Wycombe programme - 28th August 1993 Wigan Athletic 1
Wycombe Wanderers 1
Saturday 28th August 1993
Football League Division Three

Wanderers made their first ever visit to Springfield Park on the back three straight victories, while the home side were still seeking their first win under new boss, former Wanderer, Kenny Swain, who had brought in eight new players during the close season. Team news saw Manager Martin O'Neill forced to bring in Tim Langford to the starting line-up in place of the injured Steve Thompson but Andy Kerr and Keith Scott had both recovered from their knocks received on the midweek victory over Leyton Orient. On the bench for the Wanderers was new loan signing Terry Evans. The central defender had joined on a month trial following his release from Brentford, reported to be due to a disagreement with Bees boss David Webb.
Swain, who played briefly for Wanderers at the end of the 1972/73 season, saw his side take the lead in the 7th through Paul Rennie but Steve Guppy levelled matters on 35 minutes and from then Wycombe had the better chances to have won the match but in the end had to settle for a point.
Wycombe: Hyde, Cousins, Titterton, Kerr, Crossley, Ryan, Carroll, Hayrettin, Langford, Scott, Guppy - subs unused: Evans, Moussaddik (GK)
Bookings: Scott 39 (foul)
Scorers: Guppy 35
Wigan: Farnworth, Rennie, Kennedy, Robertson, Skipper. Johnson, Strong (sub 53 Duffy), McKearney, Gavin. Morton, Langley - Subs unused: West, Pennock.
Bookings:Robertson 39 (foul), Strong 45 (foul), Duffy 73 (dissent), Gavin 87 (foul)
Scorers: Rennie 7
Referee: Mr N Barry Attendance: 2,388
What the papers said:
Bucks Free Press - Claire Nash reporting from Springfield Park:
It was more a case of two points dropped, rather than one point earned against Wigan on Saturday when Wycombe spurned a handful of opportunities to clinch a maximum reward at Springfield Park.
Wanderers rose impressively to the challenge in the first half affer going behind to an early goal for the second away League game on the trot - equalising through Steve Guppy in the 35th minute. And they looked the more potent force in the second half, with promising approach work creating four tantalising chances which the finishing should have matched, but did not.
The Latics posted their threat with a slick opening which capitalised on Wycombe's tuning-in period. Full back Paul Rennie wellied home a 25-yarder with a stinging right-foot shot that greeted debutant Mick Kennedy's seventh-minute rebound.
But Wycombe settled and found their feet, and Guppy's in particular, although it was his head which was denied in the 14th minute when John Robertson, chasing the incoming Tim Langford, interrupted the winger's attempt from Dave Carroll's cross.
Industrious Langford, starting the game in place of injured Steve Thompson, endeavoured to carve his own chances. He turned neatly to beat marker Peter Skipper after being found on the edge of the box in the 24th minute, but his shot skimmed over the bar. He had a penalty appeal turned down after beating Skipper and keeper Simon Farnworth, whose lunge appeared to trip the diminutive striker on the edge of the box, in the 29th minute. He went close again two minutes later with a header from Carroll's right-wing cross.
Wycombe forced their equaliser when Guppy was on hand to tidy up Carroll's misshit shot from Keith Scott's cross into the box.
Scott was booked just before half time when he and Robertson, who was also penalised, were involved in an ungainly tangle, Robertson's being the first of his side's four bookings.
Wycombe opened the second half with Andy Kerr thundering forward from defence to force a free kick. Scott stamped the ground in frustration when his header from Hakan Hayrettin's 53rd minute cross trundled the wrong side of the near post. It was the start of a successiOn of near misses. Guppy got inside Rennie and on the end of a pass from midfield, but his 57th-minute shot followed the same fate as Scott's at the near post. The winger, again in inspirational form, did not let up and pounced on a loose ball in his own half on the hour. He ran 70 yards before crossing in front of an open goal, but Scott had not made enough ground to meet it, and Johnson, marking the incoming Langford, cleared the danger.
Athletic, heartened by Wycombe's failure to go into the lead, entered the fray much more towards fhe end, with substitute Chris Duffy showing significant danger through the middle. But Wycombe's defence remained sturdy to the task. Unfortunately Blues appeared unequal to it at the other end. Carroll squandered a glar ing opportunity in the 83rd minute. Langford played the ball in after being found on the right. Scott fumbled his shot, and Carroll miscued his into the Gods of Springfield Park.
This is the story of WYCOMBE WANDERERS brought to you by HISTORY MENU